Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/15/2003 2:02:38 PM EDT
I need to pick up some new bits before i start building

Instead of buying a assortment, I wanna just get the sizes needed for completeing recievers?

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 12/17/2003 5:31:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/23/2003 9:21:08 PM EDT
[#2]
For gas blocks and front sight blocks :

Goal : drill to .117 and press in a .118" standard pin for a .001" press fit, or drill to .118" and press in a group 2 .119" oversize pin. (Arsenal or AAOK has the oversize pins).
Drills used : #32 (piloting) and then a #31 shaved down a hair in diameter for the final reaming.
Alternate : order metric drills in sizes 2.95 mm and 2.90 mm to set up to press in the (3mm) .118" pins.
For receiver rivets, buy # 18 through # 23 bits.
This will also cover the bits needed for the rear sight pins.

A  #8,#9 and a #10 bit can help if you need to drill reciever trigger pin holes, and a letter "I" bit is needed also. The "I" bit is used for standard trunnion pins, and "J" for oversized.

I
J

13 bits total.
The #1 to #60 sets are really common.
There are some good suppliers also that can handle the individual bit orders.
Remember that all dowel pins are designed for a press fit, and that a drill of a specific size will always drill a slightly larger hole than planned.
Try for a .005 " press fit whenever possible.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 3:56:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 4:58:09 AM EDT
[#4]
I found a company that will sell individual reamers in any of the smaller sizes (such as .117"). I'll be making an investment after the holidays when they reopen.
For bits- check out DrillBitCity.com.

Not really a machinist. Aircraft mechanic for about 20 yrs, now a QC Inspector for small (business) jet mods and repairs.
Link Posted: 12/24/2003 8:22:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Would anyone find it advantageous to use a centercutting end mill on a trunion cross pin where the barrel has never been cut for the pin? I imagine drill alone would have a tendency to walk a bit.
Link Posted: 12/25/2003 7:44:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Good thought Antares! I cannot imagine how anyone could expect to get a decent hole (half hole) thru the top of a barrel with a bit alone and not cut into the trunion.
                                   Pete

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top