Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/11/2004 9:30:44 PM EDT
Hi Folks,

I have a Maadi MISR/SA (egyptian made rifle imported and U.S. made parts inserted to let it have an "evil" pistol grip.)

I'm going to replace the crappy pot metal U.S. made trigger group as soon as I legally can, but what else should I do to this gun just because I can?

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:32:49 PM EDT
[#1]
#1 burn it

#2 buy an AR
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:33:48 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
#1 burn it

#2 buy an AR

Link Posted: 9/11/2004 9:43:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Lol first order of business on monday is buying a Colt 6920. I'm also thinking of buying a bushy too just for the heck of it but the Colt for sure.

With that out of the way, I think I discovered something kind of sad. Unless I'm reading or interpreting the law incorrectly, I can't change out parts on this gun because it was banned from importation due to the "no sporting purpose" clause of the law. So, it has to have the US made parts to be in the country at all. I guess I'm not doing anything to it. I'll probably just use it for a wall hanger.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:11:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I had 2 of those things.  I got rid of them as fast as I could.  They suck, they looked like some dude in Afghanistan cobbled them together in the hillside.  Except his would work right.  Damn century guns.
Link Posted: 9/11/2004 11:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Sir's;

I also am questioning what exactly I can change on my AK's.

I have a Romanian SAR-1 (standard stock and pistol grip),  and a Hungarian SA-85M (thumbhole stock).  

I would like to put a folding stock on the SAR-1 and I would like to simply take the wood off the Hungarian and replace it with a synthetic stock and fore-grip.

Earlier today, I was told by someone, that I can not change the stocks on either rifle to folding stocks because of the "Import ban", not the "AW-ban".

If I am interpreting what I am reading here about parts correctly, as long as the folding stocks or any other part that I change is of U.S. manufacture, I can do it.

Am I correct or am I wrong?

Thank you for the information;

Redbaron
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 6:22:14 AM EDT
[#7]
You can replace the stock on your SAR-1 with a Romanian folding stock.  You are simply swapping one foreign part for another.  The SAR is already set up with the correct number of foreign and domestic parts.

The other can have no more than 10 foreign parts.  If  you replace the furniture with US made and the fire control group with US made, you should be good to go.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#8]
The MISR SA is a tough one.  I have one, and it was hard for me to figure out the parts count.  The consensus on the Dark Side (way before it was the Dork Side, Ian still owned it) was that there are only 3 US parts on the rifle itself (trigger group), and that the mag(s) it came with had US followers and floorplates.  Bad news.  
Anyway, I figured I'd play it safe, and bought a US polymer stock set from KVAR.  That put me over 5 and I could use "off the rack" mags.  
On monday I will put a Romanian folder on it.  That's about it.  I will still have 5 US parts (3 in the trigger group, pistol grip, forend).  
Mine has never had a firing issue of any kind, except with the trigger.  I had slap from the US parts. When I installed another supposedly better trigger, that "better trigger" did not work at all.  After some drama I returned it, dremmelled off a tab on the US group I already had, put it back in, no slap, works every time.  
Aside from 100% reliability, there are a few issues I have with it.  I had it refinished becuase of the horrible, thick, blotchy paint job it came with.  Also the front sight is canted, and I dropped an adjustable rear sight on to compensate.  
I keep it around
1) for fun shooting
2) beacuse "it's cool"
3) I n the event I ever had to shoot up a car, the 7.62 FMJ round is far superior to the 5.56, 9mm, .40, .380, or 12 guage that round out the rest of my "stuff."
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#9]
That's simple,    SHOOT IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(Keep your powder dry)
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Thank you for the information.

This brings three other questions to mind.

1.  Considering the numbers of U.S. and foreign made parts allowed on each, am I allowed to put the U.S. made folder that TAPCO is offering on either the SAR or the SA-85?

2.  Is it okay to place more U.S. made parts on either than is required?

3.  Is there a web site that can tell me specifically what I can and can't do.

Thank you again;

Redbaron
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:13:47 PM EDT
[#11]
It is pefectly fine and legal to put more US parts on.  In fact, the # of US parts is not the issue.  It is the number of imported parts that has to stay low.  Since you need most parts on a rifle, replacing imported with domestic is the way to go.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Nothing! Buy a new one and get a free Bayonet?
You have one of those rare Pre Post Post Ban guns!

Samuel
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:41:17 PM EDT
[#13]
What should I do with my AK?

#1. Shoot it in celebration of the return of some of our liberties!  (Preferably at a range, not into the air, like some people we've seen ;)

#2.  I have an Intrac import Maadi.  Tomorrow it will sport US-made laminated wood Z-recto (sells on another board), a US-made slant brake, and US-made trigger group (G2).  I spent some time with a drill press, hammer, anvil, and black rust-cote paint, and you know, it is just ready for that underfolder to be installed.  By tomorrow night it will look just like the ca. 1972 Soviet AKMS on the Tantal website.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top