Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/9/2005 7:05:27 AM EDT
Awright, I'm a Noob whe it comes to the whole AK building process.

What kind of welding classes do I need to learn how to do it right?
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 7:43:20 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd say MIG or TIG

I found out the hard way that Oxy/Acet has too much heat spread.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Well, learn to use what welder you have or are going to buy. first you are going to build some tools to build these ak's and 1919a4's and g3's and so on and so on. You will  need a hydraulic press. Riveting tools. Drill press.  Oven to bake paint.  OLDBEAR.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 12:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Okay so which kind of welder do I need?

Is this what I want?

Thanks again guys.

Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#4]
that should do it, just make sure to use gas shielding instead of flux core.  flux core is harder to weld with and makes lousy welds in comparison.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
that should do it, just make sure to use gas shielding instead of flux core.  flux core is harder to weld with and makes lousy welds in comparison.

+1, tons of spatter!
So much smoke that you can hardly see WTF your welding. Hey Newb, your going to dump some serios $$$$ if you are going to do a good job, don't think for one second that you can just buy some cheap-ass welder and start welding, there is thousands of $$$ worth of other stuff you'll need by the time you can actually call yourself a "weldor"! Don't bother if you just want to weld a couple AKs, it's not worth it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:21:49 AM EDT
[#6]
My vote would be the Harbor freight $150 spot welder. I did 3 builds with a flux core mig, and used a spot welder for the first time yesterday. OHHH what a differance LOL.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:43:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My vote would be the Harbor freight $150 spot welder. I did 3 builds with a flux core mig, and used a spot welder for the first time yesterday. OHHH what a differance LOL.

for the rails, sure.  but my $150 harbor freight rig doesnt have enough power to spot weld the trunnions to the receiver.  would be nice and easy if it did though
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 6:45:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes my post was refering to the lower rails only. Good point, sorry.
http://www.gunco.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1946
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#9]
how did you mod the tongs to fit?  I did one and had some problems since my soldered in rivet/electrode will melt the solder and fall out, even though it welds just fine.  any ideas?  I'm thinking maybe higer temp solder and just waiting a bit between welds unless you've got a better idea
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:15:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I ordered a 5/8ths X 1ft piece of Copper rod from McMaster-Carr and used an angle grinder to "machine" a flat surface which i drilled and tapped with a 5/16X18 tap to fasten the original welding tip. Then for clearance i just kept grinding the new lower arm until i had the clearance i wanted. Even used the angle grinder to cut the rod to length.

To give credit where credit is due, here's where i got the idea: http://www.gunco.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2061&highlight=spot+welder+mods
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:20:40 AM EDT
[#11]
good ideas on gunco.  I just need to find a place for some 5/8" copper rod, all the hardware places here have 5/8" copper plated steel for grounding houses.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:14:08 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, tons of spatter!
So much smoke that you can hardly see WTF your welding. Hey Newb, your going to dump some serios $$$$ if you are going to do a good job, don't think for one second that you can just buy some cheap-ass welder and start welding, there is thousands of $$$ worth of other stuff you'll need by the time you can actually call yourself a "weldor"! Don't bother if you just want to weld a couple AKs, it's not worth it.

Oookay,

Then if I JUST want to to weld the bottom rails in the AK what should I get?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:07:34 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, tons of spatter!

Oookay,

Sorry. If that's all you want to do then you really need a spot welder, Harbor Freight Tools has one (I've never tryed it), it looks like a chainsaw, but with two big "tongs" that stick out, the way it works is that it "squeezs" the two pieces of sheet metal with the "tongs" and presses them together and welds them at the same time. From what I've heard thought, you'll need to modify the tongs to fit inside of an AK receiver, but the originals are spot welded, so I guess that's the best way to go.
I thought you were going to weld the trunions to the reciever, based on the welder you were showing me, now I understand. Go to Harbor Freight.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:34:36 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1, tons of spatter!

Oookay,

Sorry. If that's all you want to do then you really need a spot welder, Harbor Freight Tools has one (I've never tryed it), it looks like a chainsaw, but with two big "tongs" that stick out, the way it works is that it "squeezs" the two pieces of sheet metal with the "tongs" and presses them together and welds them at the same time. From what I've heard thought, you'll need to modify the tongs to fit inside of an AK receiver, but the originals are spot welded, so I guess that's the best way to go.
I thought you were going to weld the trunions to the reciever, based on the welder you were showing me, now I understand. Go to Harbor Freight.

Thanks!
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top