Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2008 12:47:04 PM EDT
Does anyone have one that is still intact? I bought a new SSR-85 and it has the tack-welded slant brake. Haven't shot it yet. Why do they shoot off? Any way to prevent this?
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:49:42 PM EDT
[#1]
where did you get it? atlantic and peachstateguns both say that their SSR's are threaded and have removable slant?
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 3:37:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
where did you get it? atlantic and peachstateguns both say that their SSR's are threaded and have removable slant?

Atlantic has threaded SSR's.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 4:02:22 PM EDT
[#3]
My rifle from Atlantic has a threaded barrel.  I have heard of the welded brakes coming off while shooting.  

IMHO, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, most barrels are made of 4140, or a similar alloy.  A lot of those type alloys don't weld worth a damn, unless properly prepared, usually by preheating the parts prior to any welding.

I seriously doubt that somebody cobbling together AK's pre-heats a barrel before welding the brake on.  With it being just tacked in place, I'd be amazed if more than just a few stayed on.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 6:11:44 PM EDT
[#4]
It is an SSR85C-2, lower stamped Armory USA (Houston, TX). Right side of receiver says ISD Bulgaria LTD. Bought it new at a local gunshop so I'm not sure where it came from distributor-wise. The brake is indeed tack welded on. Obviously I can't tell if it has threading underneath.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:18:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
It is an SSR85C-2, lower stamped Armory USA (Houston, TX). Right side of receiver says ISD Bulgaria LTD. Bought it new at a local gunshop so I'm not sure where it came from distributor-wise. The brake is indeed tack welded on. Obviously I can't tell if it has threading underneath.

Okay, given the info I posted above does it appear to be a "bad" one? What can be done with the brake if it is?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:57:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Would be OK to tack weld a flash surpressor but a slant brake uses a lot of force. It pushes the barrel down and to the left to allow for quicker follow up shots.

I have shot 3 off a AK pistol replaced a flash with a slant brake< first onehad two tack welds
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:59:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:10:09 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The first batch of SSR rifles  that came had no threads and a welded brake , our current rifles have threads with wood stock sets . There still mey be some dealers selling the welded brake version you may want to ask before making a purchase .

Fair enough, but I already have it. Is there anything that can be done? My understanding is that there are no appreciable threads left underneath to attach it in the normal fashion.

So, since I have one tack-welded, what can be done? Reinforce the weld?  
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top