Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2008 12:47:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2008 12:47:40 PM EDT by ABNAK]
Does anyone have one that is still intact? I bought a new SSR-85 and it has the tack-welded slant brake. Haven't shot it yet. Why do they shoot off? Any way to prevent this?
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:49:42 PM EDT
where did you get it? atlantic and peachstateguns both say that their SSR's are threaded and have removable slant?
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 3:37:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JTM23:
where did you get it? atlantic and peachstateguns both say that their SSR's are threaded and have removable slant?

Atlantic has threaded SSR's.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 4:02:22 PM EDT
My rifle from Atlantic has a threaded barrel.  I have heard of the welded brakes coming off while shooting.  

IMHO, and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, most barrels are made of 4140, or a similar alloy.  A lot of those type alloys don't weld worth a damn, unless properly prepared, usually by preheating the parts prior to any welding.

I seriously doubt that somebody cobbling together AK's pre-heats a barrel before welding the brake on.  With it being just tacked in place, I'd be amazed if more than just a few stayed on.
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 6:11:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/21/2008 6:13:53 PM EDT by ABNAK]
It is an SSR85C-2, lower stamped Armory USA (Houston, TX). Right side of receiver says ISD Bulgaria LTD. Bought it new at a local gunshop so I'm not sure where it came from distributor-wise. The brake is indeed tack welded on. Obviously I can't tell if it has threading underneath.
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 12:18:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ABNAK:
It is an SSR85C-2, lower stamped Armory USA (Houston, TX). Right side of receiver says ISD Bulgaria LTD. Bought it new at a local gunshop so I'm not sure where it came from distributor-wise. The brake is indeed tack welded on. Obviously I can't tell if it has threading underneath.

Okay, given the info I posted above does it appear to be a "bad" one? What can be done with the brake if it is?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 7:57:02 PM EDT
Would be OK to tack weld a flash surpressor but a slant brake uses a lot of force. It pushes the barrel down and to the left to allow for quicker follow up shots.

I have shot 3 off a AK pistol replaced a flash with a slant brake< first onehad two tack welds
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 2:59:05 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2008 7:10:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ATLANTIC-FIREARMS:
The first batch of SSR rifles  that came had no threads and a welded brake , our current rifles have threads with wood stock sets . There still mey be some dealers selling the welded brake version you may want to ask before making a purchase .

Fair enough, but I already have it. Is there anything that can be done? My understanding is that there are no appreciable threads left underneath to attach it in the normal fashion.

So, since I have one tack-welded, what can be done? Reinforce the weld?  
Top Top