Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/25/2005 6:59:41 AM EDT
Hex nuts that fit 8-32 TG screws are just too big and require grinding edges which makes a butt ugly job. Someone has to know of some type of smaller fastener to use in replacement of them. No, not rivets, I would never use rivets on the TG either in a screw or rivet build.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:29:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Hi,

I used a piece of 1/8 " thick  x 1 1/2" flat steel. i cut it so that it fit tight inside the reciever and located the trigger guard holes, then simply removed , drilled and tapped it for the 8-32 . work very well.

My first build I used nute and had to shave them down, what a pain.....

Son
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:59:50 AM EDT
[#2]
The first two guns I built were screw jobs.  Both work great.

I got the screws, etc off gunco.net classifieds from a guy that goes by the screen name of fxrfxr or something like that.

He had the right nuts and bolts for the job- no trimming- they just fit right the first time.

Might want to look him up.  He has a website but I can't remember the address.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:33:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to your ACE Hardware store and buy the little 4-40 nuts.  Drill the center out for your 8-32 screws and then re-tap.  Now you have little 8-32 nuts.  

Easy as pie.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#4]
rivets
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:05:11 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
rivets

lol ive been wanting to post that all day long glad im not the only ass here
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 3:18:28 AM EDT
[#6]
6/32 screws and nuts
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:20:28 AM EDT
[#7]
I use 5 mm allen head screws from ACE. Also available are special small nuts which fit perfectly inside. This is the best and easiest solution I have found.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:59:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
rivets

Your not the only non-reading ass either, have someone read you the original post.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#9]
I second the idea (Son35) of tapping 4 holes in a small plate. I found it easier to install (once built).
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:59:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
rivets

Your not the only non-reading ass either, have someone read you the original post.

well ya see my wife is semi retarded so she wont be much help
maybe i can get uncle fester ta read her to meh
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 2:02:30 PM EDT
[#11]
I checked and found that the allen screws are actually 4mm x 10mm.
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 8:58:10 AM EDT
[#12]
What about cap type allen head screws like the ones found on Japanese Motorcycle fairings? Sorry, I can't help much on the build, I'm a newbie myself getting ready to get started on my own 1st build. But anyway, those cap screw would look real nice I think. They wouldn't need any washer or anything to stay on.

Just a thought.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#13]
tag for later
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The first two guns I built were screw jobs.  Both work great.

I got the screws, etc off gunco.net classifieds from a guy that goes by the screen name of fxrfxr or something like that.

He had the right nuts and bolts for the job- no trimming- they just fit right the first time.

Might want to look him up.  He has a website but I can't remember the address.

Here he is:
http://fng.mystarband.net/screwkit/ScrewKit.html

and a good guy to deal with too!!
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top