Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 4/3/2006 4:52:27 PM EDT
What guage steel are AK receivers? My dad has a big 6ft Aluminum break and I was wondering if that would bend an AK receiver flat or if they are hard. I know they come annealed but what do you guys think?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:12:22 AM EDT
Good luck , that inside bend is 1.25" . That seems too tight for the brakes I have tried . Plus you would still need to bend your top rails and they are a bear . The majority of flats out there are 1mm thick . And just so you dont think I am just a noob with a sheet metal brake I have been building complete race car bodies and interiors for 4 years . I through away about $65 trying to use a brake , finally just bought a jig . Wound up with two great receivers in my first two attempts . I figure I would have saved that $65 by adding another $60 to it and buying a jig to start . Dont get me wrong though , where I failed you may succeed if you do please post some pics . Hope this helps you .
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:39:39 AM EDT
cant do it

you need a 90deg bend and you cant do it with a brake
im shure someone will come along and tell me im wrong
but ive never seen it done

not well anyway
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:13:42 PM EDT
The break will do at least a 60* bend so the 90 wouldn't be a problem. I was thinking it wouldn't work but figured I would just ask. I knew the top fold over's would be the deciding factor. Guess I will buy a jig if I go that route. Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 10:39:53 AM EDT
i didnt say that correct
not shure how to explain it

when you bend with a a brake it leaves a rounded corner like like the letter J

your looking for a square bend like the letter L
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 11:53:05 AM EDT
I've talked to two seperate people that tried to do it and they both said it doesn't work. That was after the had ruined a couple of flats trying.
Top Top