Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/6/2002 10:51:16 AM EDT
Inquiring minds want to know. Someone at a gunshop told me they are mostly older guns and some almost antiques, at least as antique as a gun made in 947 can be.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 11:06:53 AM EDT
i think the majority of the middle eastern ones are going to be russian chinese and rom AKs in 7.62.
afghanistan, however will have more EG and other 5.45 AK74s mixed in, but still mostly 7.62
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 1:15:29 PM EDT
Probably Egyptian and Chinese. Seen large amounts of Chinese ammo in the news, which were discovered and destroyed by U.S. forces in Afgan. I'm just assuming that if they got chinese ammo, they got chinese guns.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 2:17:20 PM EDT
Exporters of AK's, largest to smallest, in the top 5 are:

Soviet Union/Russia
China
East Germany (DDR)
Poland
Hungary
Romania

­Other countries, like Hungary, Bulgaria, Egypt, Cuba and North Korea all export AK's too, along with Yugoslavia (especially to Iraq) and now Croatia.
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 4:20:07 PM EDT
The United States gave them tens of thousands of Chinese AK's complete with ammo during the campaign against the Russians. Obviously the Eastern Block nations were not selling to the CIA. The Chinese, however, were willing to do so (do to a split up between China and Russia). So the AKs which we gave them were Chinese. Being accustomed to Chinese weapons, I suspect the Taliban has since bought more of them.

The Northern Alliance is a different story. Most of the Northern boys were at least partially allied with the Soviets back in the day (maybe allied is too strong, but lets say they weren't as hostile). Those troops were supplied with Eastern Block AKs including AKs from the Soviet Union and its allies (Eastern Block).

Since the US moved in, the Russians have given a lot of guns to those troops who support the "coalition" (whatever that is). The Russians are probably just giving away Russian AKs, but that's just a guess. I'd also "guess" that the US paid the Russians to do it.

-SS
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 7:07:35 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2002 8:39:32 PM EDT
I guess my diction could have been better, I was including past exporters......such as East German, which is no more, and the Soviet Union.

The Yugo's exported alot of their AK's to Iraq.....the "homegrown" Iraqi "Tabuk" is a carbon copy of the Yugoslav M70AB. You're right.....with the destruction of the Zastava factory it curtailed export, although it would stand to reason that the Yugoslav governtment would rebuild the factory if/when it can, if it hasn't already. I wouldn't be surprised though if some of the newer countries like Croatia and Macedonia exported AK's that they don't perceive themselves needing in exchange for hard currency.

Alot of the pictures of seen of stamped receiver AK's in Afghanistan have been of Chinese Type 56-1 and DDR MPiKmS, along with what could possibly be old Soviet/Russian rifles.

With the collapse of the Warsaw Pact 10 years ago, most of the countries that made up that Bloc had a going out of business sale, trying to get hard currency for their flagging economies. That's one major reason you don't see the new Russian Century Series AK's out there being used........just too damn many surplus AK's out there to make it attractive to buy brand new AKs.
Link Posted: 10/8/2002 12:51:22 PM EDT
Is it true that all the current AK imports to Afghanistan are post-bans from Century ?!?!?!?
Top Top