Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/20/2011 5:07:21 AM EDT
I am ready to build my Romanian G model. My G model is a all serial number matching kit with the original barrel. This thing looks like it has never been fired. I want to leave the original finish as is on the barrel assembly. I will only paint the receiver assembly. MY QUESTION: What color, brand and type of paint have you guys found that comes close to  matching the original color of the barrel assembly ???  By color, I mean, flat black, semi-gloss black, automotive hi-temp header paint or maybe Brownells epoxy or the  bake on types of paints etc. ????   Thanks for your replies.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 7:05:29 AM EDT
[#1]
My advice would be to skip the paint as it will not match or be durable.  Original was parkerized.  There are some home brew recipies floating around or Brownells has the solution.  Black oxide is another option but tends to be darker.
Link Posted: 9/20/2011 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#2]
If you want a original looking finish I would suggest using Birchwood Casey cold blue.
This is what I used on this Romy "G" it is not hard to do, and if done right it will hold up just as good as other coatings.
The trick to a good cold blue is preparation, and heat not a lot of heat.
But hot enough that it is uncomfortable to hold for a long time. (don’t burn your self)

1. You need to prep the parts to be blued, sandblast, or glass bead, everything you are going to blue.

2. Clean, with denatured alcohol (if parts are real greasy clean with carb cleaner first)
Trick; when cleaning warm parts put them in a gal. or 2 gal. ziplock bag with alcohol & shake (be sure you are away from any flames or heating source) blow off excess alcohol.

3.Heat, I use a roast pan with enough water to cover parts, get it up to a rolling boil. Put in parts & let it come back to a boil. Grease or oil is a BAD thing at this point if you notice any on parts or on top of the water STOP and go back to the cleaning step.

4.Take parts out of water shake or blow water off, parts should dry quickly. Put warm parts in a 2gal. or larger clean ziplock bag quickly pour in cold blue(I use Birchwood Casey Perma Blue) over parts in bag, zip closed & shake turning over a few times, keep turning and shaking until all parts are covered.

5. Remove parts from bag & rinse in cold water.

6. Reheat parts in the water, at this point when you take the parts out of the water they will turn greenish brown, don't panic! this is normal.

7. Repeat steps 4,5, & 6 until you get the color you want.

8. Heat parts in the water, remove the parts shake or blow water off, put in NEW CLEAN ziplock bag & coat with a good gun oil, I use Remington's Rem oil.
After soaking with gun oil keep parts in the bag & put it in a warm place for 24 hrs. Keeping all parts coated (I put the bag & all on a bunch of shop towels in the back window of the car in the summer sun.)

Follow this procedure & you will come out with a Great Looking Gun like this one.

Only the receiver, front & rear trunnion, trigger guard, and selector was the only parts blued.
Link Posted: 9/21/2011 6:42:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Very nice. Thanks for the reply and all the info.
Link Posted: 9/28/2011 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#4]

I painted the receiver and parkerized the barrel ....Built from a flat.....

Parkerizing just didn't come out wright with the flat.....Barrel came out great!

I bead blasted the flat also, before I parked, and painted...
Link Posted: 9/29/2011 2:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/PDshooter/AK47/AK47002-1.jpg
I painted the receiver and parkerized the barrel ....Built from a flat.....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/PDshooter/AK47/Parkerizing011.jpg
Parkerizing just didn't come out wright with the flat.....Barrel came out great!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v292/PDshooter/AK47/Parkerizing007.jpg
I bead blasted the flat also, before I parked, and painted...

What grit beads did you use to blast this for prep. I've heard aluminum oxide can be too rough, abrasive, and destroy lettering an such.

Link Posted: 9/29/2011 4:05:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, man.....Not a clue ?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top