Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2009 6:26:23 PM EDT
For example, can I put Tech Sights on it and leave everything else stock?  

Can I change out the firing pin out to one of those new pins that have the spring that increases safety with commercial ammo and leave everything else stock?

What about changing the stock?

What change would necessitate me changing 10 parts to made in the USA?

It's a Yugo M59.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:12:20 AM EDT
[#1]
It' really not 10 USA parts.  It's ten or less foriegn parts.

On a Yugo M59, are you sure you want to?  That's a rarer bird than its M59/66 counterpart.  I consider myself lucky to have an M59 that is matching - it stays untouched.  The plentiful Chicoms have the 922(r), 10 or less foriegn parts in my stable.

But heck, if you make alterations that can be reversed, and save your original parts, the sky's the limit.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:44:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
It' really not 10 USA parts.  It's ten or less foriegn parts.

On a Yugo M59, are you sure you want to?  That's a rarer bird than its M59/66 counterpart.  I consider myself lucky to have an M59 that is matching - it stays untouched.  The plentiful Chicoms have the 922(r), 10 or less foriegn parts in my stable.

But heck, if you make alterations that can be reversed, and save your original parts, the sky's the limit.

Oh, my mistake, thanks for explaining the 10 or less foreign parts rule.  At what point does that rule start on a gun?  My stock M59 probably has more than 10 foreign parts doesn't it?  

I'd like to change the firing pin for safety issues (and keep my stock one in storage) and add the tech sights (I hear they do not modify the gun in any permanent way, is this true?) to make the sights on my guns for uniform.

CA has issues with the M59/66 due to the grenade launcher and I didn't want a hack job so I bought 2 M59s few years back.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:42:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Here's a plethera of info on compliance issues.  http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?board=12.0

As far as the tech sights, there is one slight modification.  The retaining pin on the receiver cover latch will need to be ground off.  They will, as a bonus, subrtact from the foriegn parts list and give a several inch better sight radius.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:10:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here's a plethora of info on compliance issues.  http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?board=12.0

As far as the tech sights, there is one slight modification.  The retaining pin on the receiver cover latch will need to be ground off.  They will, as a bonus, subrtact from the foriegn parts list and give a several inch better sight radius.

Sksboards.com is a good site. The sights, however, are not in the 10 parts game. If you change any on the list, you have to insure that NO MORE THAN 10 on the list are on the SKS. As can be seen from the list. there are more than 10 imported parts on an original SKS, but it was imported under the C&R clause. Adding the TechSight will not affect it's compliance, positively or negatively.

1. Receiver
2. Barrel
3. Bolt
4. Bolt Carrier
5. Gas Piston (the long one)
6. Trigger housing
7. Trigger
8. Sear
9. Hammer
10.Disconnector
11.Stock
12.Handguard
13.Magazine Body
14.Magazine Follower
15.Muzzle Attachment.

buckmeister
Page AK-47 » SKS
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top