Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/7/2005 3:23:59 PM EDT
Im not an AK owner at the moment, but a lot of guys shoot them at the ranges I go to.
I dont think I have ever seen anything but Wolf casings on the ground in all the places I have shot at. Got me thinking yesterday while I was at the range...does anyone even shoot a brass cased round in those things? I started to look during every ceasefire....wandering the firing line staring at the ground...hundreds of thousands of cases of every make and caliber....I didnt see a single 7.62x39 case other than steel Wolf......is that all anyone shoots in AK's ?

I know its dirt cheap, and have heard that the Russian AK's were designed to use steel cased ammo...it just struck me as peculiar that NO ONE uses brass cased ammo.

Educate an AK newbie...I keep telling myself the next cheap one I see I am picking up, somehow a different project always happens. I take it Wolf is fine through AK's since that is all anyone around here seems to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:27:47 PM EDT
there is no real benefit to having a brass case, the Yugoslavians made 7.62x39 in brass, so did the portugese IIRC. it is more expensive than steel, which is probably the biggest reason why it doesnt get used for most military ammo. brass case ammo is either heinously expensive(winchester for example) or corrosive(yugo) with very few exceptions.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 3:41:41 PM EDT
There's a 25yd indoor range that allows centerfire rifle fire 2 miles from my house. However they do not allow steel core ammo (hard to find) / steel jacketed ammo (wolf, silver bear, golden bear, etc. etc.) for rifles. Handgun ammo they don't care what you shoot. They use a magnet on the rifle ammo to see if it is magnetic. I understand why they do this as their trap could be penetrated by a steel core armor piercing round. The range is upstairs and at the front of the building you can see a couple concrete patches on the brick work.

I rarely shoot rifles there / indoors but occasionaly will take advantage of the range's location to my house and the fact that it's a nice way to try out / sight in a rifle at 25yds w/o having to drive 50 miles. They only allow brass cased non steel jacketed rifle ammo and sell overpriced South African Cheetah 7.62x39 ammo.

Lat place I saw Cheetah ammo was at Vector. At a case of 1440rds costing $151.20. Most shooters, myself included, find it's cheaper to shoot Woof or Barnaul steel cased ammo, especially concerning the fact that AK's eat it up.
www.vectorarms.com/indexframe.html
Wolf ammo at a gunshow usually runs $80 to $90 for 1000rds.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:04:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/7/2005 5:06:22 PM EDT by RodMI]
AKs will run on almost anything. But some have issues with hollow point Wolf for some reason. My AK just loves hollow points good for me.

P.S. stay away from US mags!
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:55:37 PM EDT
I have shot some winchester 7.62x39 brass case before.
It was OK, but not great.
The winchester used a .308 diam bullet.
The standard AK round uses a .310 or .311 diam bullet.

On a technical note, the Ruger Mini-30 (the 7.62x39 version of the Mini-14), uses a .308 diam barrel.
You can use the .310/.311 bullets, but it will cause higher pressures and more wear on the barrel.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:20:12 PM EDT
The only brass cased ammo I use in my AK are the Winchester 123 grain soft points I keep in my SHTF mags. For range use, I stick to Wolf and Silver Bear.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 8:56:38 PM EDT
For what it's worth, I still have a bunch of S&B steel cased stuff. Good news is that this can be used at my local range. Bad news is that at the tactical range where I sometimes take classes, steel cased ammo is banned. So, the information about Winchester is helpful. I don't reload this stuff yet.

Thanks much everyone.

John B. in Seattle
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 9:03:03 PM EDT
Anther reason why some ranges are particular is that if the have alot of small caliber military traffic i'e 9mm, 223 etc. they sell their brass for scrap rather than selling it to reloaders. It would be a PITA to take all that steel out.
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 10:49:43 PM EDT
the brass case ammo is just too expensive, so why buy ammo that cost more?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 12:22:13 AM EDT
I've used wwb 7.62 in my Ak the local walmart had 40rd packs for $16 kinda high I think but I was going to the range and didnt have any so I paid it. not that impressed with it but it will do in a pinch
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 3:54:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 3:55:52 AM EDT by narcotik]
Is Olympic brass cased? If so i just bought a couple hundred rounds of that for about the same price as Wolf. seems to be a great round.

edit: yep, box says case is brass!
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 4:42:27 AM EDT
The Russians and the Chinese both use steel cased ammo for the AK,while the Russians used a lacquered case the Chinese used a copper washed steel case.As mentioned above,the only Eastern European Country that went with brass cased AK ammo was Yugoslavia.Before Wolf ammo was avaliable,the only choices we had was surplus Military ammo,Chinese in the beginning and then Russian,East German,Romanian and I believe some Hungarian ammo slipped out.When I bought my first Chinese AK,the Chinese had'nt started exporting the ammo yet and I had to buy brass from Midway and 23 gr. bullets from another source.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 6:53:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:02:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 7:07:16 AM EDT by HardShell]
I don't shoot anything but surplus & Wolf out of my AKs...

* BUT *

I do use brass-cased ammo in both of my 7.62x39mm ARs and my wife uses it in her Mini-Mark X bolt-action in that chambering. I've had good results out of all three rifles with the 7.62 ammo from Georgia Arms.

ETA: This is good ammo, but it's not cheap - not exactly "mag-dump" fodder, FWIW.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:45:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/8/2005 8:48:46 AM EDT by EKLYPSE]

Originally Posted By TheRedHorseman:
there is no real benefit to having a brass case, the Yugoslavians made 7.62x39 in brass, so did the portugese IIRC. it is more expensive than steel, which is probably the biggest reason why it doesnt get used for most military ammo. brass case ammo is either heinously expensive(winchester for example) or corrosive(yugo) with very few exceptions.

one of those exeptions would be olympic amuntion. it comes in 40rd boxes at 4 to 5$

ETA its ball ammo too
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 8:47:54 AM EDT
I don't remember ever buying or shooting any brass cased ammo in 7.62x39
Top Top