Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/16/2006 6:24:47 AM EDT
I am in the market for another AK. I like the romanian ones due to there cheap price, optics rail,chrome lined barrel etc. The thing I don't like is no mag well dimples and that they use different trunions. I have heard that as of late 2004 and all of 2005 that these guns are using surplus millitary parts built on a different single stack reciever and then just the reciever botom is oppend up when they get here. The last one I looked at the serial # started with an 82 and looked much diferent than the one i used to have that was made in 2003 and had a serial # that started with 2003. I am really holding out for another SAR-1 ( i already have one) but I may just bite the bullet and buy the wasr if they are using all standard military parts other than the reciever. Tell me what you guys know.

Thanks
Shawn
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:53:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm guessing steel and wood.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:09:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Your kidding right?
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:09:35 AM EDT
[#3]
WASR is an AK...made just like the rest of them. Sometimes they have minor problems but nothing you cant fix. For the money there ok. And I dont have to guess....there made out of steel and wood
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
I'm guessing steel and wood.

that is the very first thought I had when I saw the thread title.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:27:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine seems to be made out of pure evil. I can feel it in the closet, plotting.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:28:55 AM EDT
[#6]
well no shit people, What I am asking is if they are using demilled kits like you would get if you bought a rommie kit and then putting them on a single stack reciever and opening up the mag well once they get here. Previous WASR were made using single stack trunion and then machined out along with the magwell being opened up when they got here. In other words they did not use standard military trunions. I know what a WASR is, I have owned two of them, I know that as of late 2004 they have started using a different serial #'s starting from any where from 77 to 84. There have been rumours that they started using demilled kits and refurbishing them kinda like when you build a kit here in the us. If everyone had actually read my post instead of just skimming and then saying some stupid ass shit about "steel and wood" maybe you would have figured that out. If you don't have anything to say besides that, then don't waste the space of posting a dumb ass comment.

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:34:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Maybe you should ask your question a little differntly.......you post shit like "whats an ak made of" your gonna get smart ass replys. half the guys here are comedians so thats what happens....
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:41:48 AM EDT
[#8]
If it's any consolation, I HAD a SAR that bumped really well. A friend bought a WASR specifically for the purpose of bumping. It short stroks all the time. I however, don't bump that often, so right there at the range, we traded rifles with no paperwork or anything. I feel so subversive.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:22:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 4:52:10 PM EDT
[#10]
My latest WASR's was made in 1986 and went unissued and was torn apart to make a kit out of it and then the Factory took a WASR single stack receiver and put it back together and sold it to Century for probably $100.  Century got it and opened up the magwell and now it's a USA made rifle double stack magazine compatibile.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:37:28 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Mine seems to be made out of pure evil. I can feel it in the closet, plotting.

thats the best post i've seen in a while
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:43:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
well no shit people, What I am asking is if they are using demilled kits like you would get if you bought a rommie kit and then putting them on a single stack reciever and opening up the mag well once they get here. Previous WASR were made using single stack trunion and then machined out along with the magwell being opened up when they got here. In other words they did not use standard military trunions. I know what a WASR is, I have owned two of them, I know that as of late 2004 they have started using a different serial #'s starting from any where from 77 to 84. There have been rumours that they started using demilled kits and refurbishing them kinda like when you build a kit here in the us. If everyone had actually read my post instead of just skimming and then saying some stupid ass shit about "steel and wood" maybe you would have figured that out. If you don't have anything to say besides that, then don't waste the space of posting a dumb ass comment.

Steel and wood. Ha Ha
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 5:46:43 PM EDT
[#13]
LOL steel and wood... ok ok ok,  you win... its made of BLUED steel, and some chrome.

Seriously, they are good for beater AKs, but not the BEST. They have 1mm thick stamped steel recievers, as opposed to the 1.6mm stamped recievers of some US guns and Chinese guns. They are 99% of the time excellent guns, cheap and reliable, and the uglyness can be fixed with some wood finish and polish. They are fairly accurate and will last a long time.

ETA: no they do not have dimpled recievers, but they have steel plates welded in them for extra strength INSTEAD of the dimples. I do not own a WASR but I have shot them, I can't point out the plates but I am sure someone who has one will show you. I have a PSL, Romanian made, and when you have one of those you can NEVER doubt Romanian craftmanship.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:07:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Rommys suck. I am not bashing all of you WASR folk ,  but if your going to spend the $ on new FCG , take time to refinish wood , take time to refinish metal , fix canted sites , why would'nt you just buy Vector. To me time is money. It does'nt add up.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:29:28 PM EDT
[#15]
My wasr trunnion was made in 70 and works fuckin beautifuly.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#16]
what are ak's made of ? sugar.....spice and everything evil
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Rommys suck. I am not bashing all of you WASR folk ,  but if your going to spend the $ on new FCG , take time to refinish wood , take time to refinish metal , fix canted sites , why would'nt you just buy Vector. To me time is money. It does'nt add up.

What's this "fixing" thing you speak of? Is it in the same catagory as that "cleaning" thing?

You load it, you shoot it. It hits a 6 inch steel target at 50 yards. You go home, you drink some beer, you go to sleep.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 7:27:11 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Because I had a blast fixing mine up:

Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:01:16 PM EDT
[#19]
I'm pretty sure mine is steel and wood.  My daughter's fridge magnet sticks to the receiver.  Oh-and the sling is leather.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Nice Finish!
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top