Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 8:34:07 AM EDT
I am in the market for another AK. I like the romanian ones due to there cheap price, optics rail,chrome lined barrel etc.  The thing I don't like is no mag well dimples and that they use different trunions. I have heard that as of late 2004 and all of 2005 that these guns are using surplus millitary parts built on a different single stack reciever and then just the reciever botom is oppend up when they get here. The last one I looked at the serial # started with an 82 and looked much diferent than the one i used to have that was made in 2003 and had a serial # that started with 2003. I am really holding out for another SAR-1 ( i already have one) but I may just bite the bullet and buy the wasr if they are using all standard military parts other than the reciever. Tell me what you guys know.

Thanks
Shawn
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#1]
does anyone know?
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#2]
from what i understand the trunnions are from military demills. when i bought my wasr i looked thru a pile of six best looking 2 were '82 and '84. all others were 2003 with canted sights and really loose mags.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 4:26:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Mines an 83 with no dimples but TIGHT magwell, straight sight and was had picked from a pile of them. I'm happy with it for the price.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Another option...and really a better rifle. Get a Romy kit 100.00 and a OOW or Global Trades receiver 70.00 and send it to Coyote Gulch (Mark Tucker) build and park 200.00. That's it and you will be pleased!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:42:38 PM EDT
[#5]
i got an 03' and its fine. i just cleaned it up a bit. most of the kits ive seen reciently are NICE. check Copes dist for good deals.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#6]
mines a 70
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 6:36:24 AM EDT
[#7]
The WASRs from about 2003-on have the same front trunion as the SAR1s.  Yes the WASR started out as a single stack, then CAI cut open the magwell.  Sometimes they make it a little big.  I have some mags that are tight and some are looser.  Lots of variance in the mags so don't always blame the rifle.

Some 2003-2004 Locap Wasrs actually had the US parts in them and all you had to do was cut the magwell to get your legal Hicap AK.

If you can find a locap for $199, just cut the magwell yourself and check for US parts.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top