Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/21/2006 10:00:18 AM EDT
I'm finishing up a Romy G kit and am planning on refinishing the whole gun with duracoat.

What prep work needs to be done to the parts that already have a finish (barrel, dust cover, etc).  Does everything need to be stripped to the bare metal?

If so, does anyone have recomendations or suggestions on how to strip the original finish off?

I've been looking through all the stikies and tutorials and can't find anything on this.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:29:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Do you have access to a sandblaster?

A sandblaster with aluminum oxide is probably the best way to go.
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Possibly...

There's a shop in town I've taken some auto body parts to for sand blasting, but I don't know how they'd feel about a gun, much less an "assault rifle".

If I can't get to one, are there any good solvents that would do the job?  Anyone have experience with this stuff: LINK

Link Posted: 10/21/2006 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, you can get a sandblaster for around $30.  Do you have a good sized aircompressor or one you can borrow?
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I didn't realize they were so cheap.

Yeah, my old man has a good air compressor, so I'll probably just look into that.

So essentially, you need to get everything down to the bare metal before you coat it for the best results, right?
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 11:39:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I didn't realize they were so cheap.

Yeah, my old man has a good air compressor, so I'll probably just look into that.

So essentially, you need to get everything down to the bare metal before you coat it for the best results, right?

Yes. You need a compressor with a decent amount of capacity (20 gal or greater), and blast at 80-90psi. Some have had decent results with a smaller cap and at lower psi, but the time factor greatly increases. After blasting, handle the receiver with gloves, depending upon the humidity level in TN ( I would plan on painting soon after completing the blasting. If not you will have to lightly re-blast prior to Duracoat.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2006 11:59:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Great, thanks for the help guys.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 3:11:30 PM EDT
[#7]
According to Lauer's FAQ's blasting is not required. Has anyone used it w/o doing so?
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I just wiped my weapon down with acetone, let it dry and fired up the air brush.  A year later all is well with the coating.
Link Posted: 10/30/2006 7:13:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Blasting can give a better adhesion but I've done many rifles both AR and AK with no blasting.

Although with AR's it adheres really well to the anodized and park'd parts.

But I've never ever blasted an AK with either Moly-Resin or Duracoat.  Degrease the hell out of it is the most important thing.  I'll normally brake cleaner, scrub, brake cleaner, scrub, etc... until none of the brake cleaner seems to be rooting out any oil.  Then wipe the whole thing down with acetone and a lint free rag just to make sure I can't find any more grease or dirt.

Blow it off with the air compressor, heat it in the oven to warm the parts, Duracoat, bake.

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top