Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/12/2009 1:57:23 PM EDT
Greetings,

Are there any other loads that use the same bullet as the Wolf military classic hollow point?

Thank you
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Old Uly and Sapsan.
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:16:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Ranch.  Is this stuff for sale anywhere
Link Posted: 3/12/2009 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Thanks Ranch.  Is this stuff for sale anywhere

There is some on GB.  here

It is expensive but considering the reason you want it it is cheap insurance
Link Posted: 3/14/2009 8:38:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Just be aware that older Uly did not use the improved bullet, the transition seemed to have occurred in '96, buy '97 or later to be sure.
Link Posted: 3/15/2009 4:13:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Just be aware that older Uly did not use the improved bullet, the transition seemed to have occurred in '96, buy '97 or later to be sure.

This is the first I've heard of this.  Where did you hear it?
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 10:38:36 AM EDT
[#6]
All of the Silver Bear I use has "8M3 EFFECT" written on the side of the box.
Link Posted: 5/14/2009 11:41:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Is that why most online vendors sell it for a bit more than Brown Bear or other offerings???  Just curious
Link Posted: 5/15/2009 6:23:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I have heard that the Wolf MC that is coming in now has the wolf headstamps instead of the uly.  Im just wondering if they are still using the 8m3 bullet anymore.  They quit putting the sealant on them both so makes me think its all coming from the same factory seeing that the headstamps the same.
Link Posted: 5/15/2009 11:46:53 AM EDT
[#9]
The old early '90s Russian Hollow Point (pre-Wolf) bullets may be inaccurate to some degree. I took some of it to the range to sight in (regular 16" AK) and couldn't get any groups with it. It sounded and felt just as hot as any other, but the bullets may be slightly out of balance which would throw them around some in flight. By 'inaccurate' I mean the best I could manage with them was to keep most of the shots on a piece of typewriter paper at 100 yards with iron sights. This is just a theory. The next time I went, I took my AMD-65 with original barrel which only has about 10" of rifling and a shorter sight radius. I used current-production Wolf MC HP, and had much better results. Next time I'll take the other AK and try it with the Wolf. Once I prove this theory, I'll basically shoot up the old stuff when I can do some rapid fire and mag dumps. I suppose some guys would take advantage of the market and sell it for a big profit, but that's not me.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 5:33:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was gleaned from some posts by FreeRange Yoda, who is now deceased, posted on the AK Forum. He took apart a number of cartridges and di-sected the bullets, demonstrating an evolution in Russian hollow point bullet design over a period of years. There was an 8M2 hollow point that preceded the 8M3 bullet.
Link Posted: 5/19/2009 1:07:44 PM EDT
[#11]
When was that type of ammo made that you just mentioned?I just picked up a Russian battlepack from the 80's it is believed to be. Non corrosive,123grn HP's. It was an unopened white waxy/coated looking paper.I opened it to see if corrosive or not,it is not but stinks of some nasty pungent chemical!
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 5:37:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I got rid of all my 95-96 dated stuff based on the claim that the good bullet was introduced in 97. I hope this claim is correct
Link Posted: 5/20/2009 7:51:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I got rid of all my 95-96 dated stuff based on the claim that the good bullet was introduced in 97. I hope this claim is correct

Did you trade it away, sell it, or shoot it all???      

Link Posted: 5/21/2009 12:36:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Sold it.  It was all headstamped 3/95 or 3/96.
Link Posted: 5/22/2009 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This was gleaned from some posts by FreeRange Yoda, who is now deceased, posted on the AK Forum. He took apart a number of cartridges and di-sected the bullets, demonstrating an evolution in Russian hollow point bullet design over a period of years. There was an 8M2 hollow point that preceded the 8M3 bullet.

What happened to Yoda??????????????
Link Posted: 5/29/2009 4:25:46 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thats interesting.  Has anyone done any test with it?
Link Posted: 5/30/2009 9:39:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

What happened to Yoda??????????????

don't know for sure, natural causes I believe

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 12:03:49 PM EDT
[#18]
So any word on the "Newer" MC having the 8M3 Bullet? I was about to buy some and the reason the 8M3 is the reason for it. I was unaware the new Wolf MC doesn't have any sealent on it.

Link Posted: 6/21/2009 12:42:34 AM EDT
[#19]
I got some of the new non sealant wolf MC HPs I can't say for sure if they are using the 8M3 bullet  because I have no known 8M3 bullets to compare them to, I can tell you that the hole in these MC HPs is a little larger and not as deep as the Wolf BB HPs I have. Since the MC is 124gr and the BB is 122gr they don't use the same bullet but I can't say for sure if the 124gr bullet is the 8M3 or some other 124gr HP bullet. I would think that they are both made in the same plant since they both have the symbol of a small p inside of a large C with a smaller T to the right of the C with SA03 under it and the diamond with rNc inside it, what those mean I don't know.

For what its worth the BB is older production with the sealant on the primer only and the new production MC doesn't have sealant on the bullet or the primer which isn't that big of a deal to me since I find the sealant is the dirtiest part of shooting this ammo.
Link Posted: 7/3/2009 11:57:23 PM EDT
[#20]
My Uly ammunition has always been ridiculously accurate, at least through my Arsenal SLR-95.  A friend used it through his Hungarian SA-85M while he still owned it with similar results.

I found a couple of Uly cases recently that I had forgotten about.  The boxes are labeled differently, I can provide photos of the other text on the boxes if so desired.

Link Posted: 7/4/2009 6:10:56 PM EDT
[#21]
what did you pay for those and when?         Are they the all white boxes?
Link Posted: 7/4/2009 6:29:09 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Yes, white boxes.  I think I have about 700 more rounds in the individual white boxes from a third case I cracked open and was using for plinking.  They ran me $125.00 a case on average back in the Nineties, it cost me more because of shipping to Alaska.
Link Posted: 7/7/2009 10:57:05 AM EDT
[#23]
Do the white boxes say "Made in Russia" and "Hunting Cartridges?" Thanks!

I don't have any of the new MC but not much old left either so want to know what to buy that has the "8M3 Effect." Unless someone cuts one of the new Wolf MC Bullets in 1/2 I now believe from pictures at least they do not have the pocket in the middle like the old MC. Also, I saw Wolf said the BB is the same as the MC but I remember seeing pictures of the BB cut in half and the old MC cut in half and the MC had the "Pocket" while the BB didn't. Does it mean now the BB has the Pocket or the MC doesn't?

Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, white boxes.  I think I have about 700 more rounds in the individual white boxes from a third case I cracked open and was using for plinking.  They ran me $125.00 a case on average back in the Nineties, it cost me more because of shipping to Alaska.

Link Posted: 7/7/2009 10:20:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Do the white boxes say "Made in Russia" and "Hunting Cartridges?" Thanks!

I don't have any of the new MC but not much old left either so want to know what to buy that has the "8M3 Effect." Unless someone cuts one of the new Wolf MC Bullets in 1/2 I now believe from pictures at least they do not have the pocket in the middle like the old MC. Also, I saw Wolf said the BB is the same as the MC but I remember seeing pictures of the BB cut in half and the old MC cut in half and the MC had the "Pocket" while the BB didn't. Does it mean now the BB has the Pocket or the MC doesn't?

Quoted:
Quoted:

I took some pictures of the individual white boxes, will post them in the next day or two.
Link Posted: 8/23/2009 4:39:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I have some Ulyanovsk 8M2 "Effect" FMJ ammo.  Is this worth anything?
Link Posted: 8/24/2009 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#26]
Just bought some Wolf MC 124Gn HP, tag for more info.
Link Posted: 9/2/2009 5:54:24 PM EDT
[#27]
So, how do you determine if they are still using the 8M3 bullet?
Link Posted: 9/3/2009 6:24:26 PM EDT
[#28]
Does anyone have any Wolf black box hollow points?  If so, please check inside the hollow tip for scores.  Let me know what you see.
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 7:08:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 9/4/2009 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been grappling with that question, but have failed to come up with an answer. I have no doubt that the ammo is always undergoing changes of which the end user has no knowledge. At this point in time, it's almost impossible to tell without actually testing it.

Would cutting the bullet in half help with identification?
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:16:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Here are the pictures I promised ages ago.  Life hit the fan, so I wasn't able to upload them when I was initially going to.  The thumbnail orientation is different from that of the actual photos when you click on them.

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 5:25:58 PM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been grappling with that question, but have failed to come up with an answer. I have no doubt that the ammo is always undergoing changes of which the end user has no knowledge. At this point in time, it's almost impossible to tell without actually testing it.

Yes, I believe it would. Here's a picture from AK Forum of a cross sectional cut of the 8M3. If someone has the ability to cut a new WMC unsealed HP round, that would excellent!
8M3 cross cut
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:58:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, I believe it would. Here's a picture from AK Forum of a cross sectional cut of the 8M3. If someone has the ability to cut a new WMC unsealed HP round, that would excellent!
8M3 cross cut

Need a log in ID to see that pic.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:56:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

8M3 cross cut

Need a log in ID to see that pic.

True, its an easy sign-up, though, and full of great info to compliment our studies here. In fact, that's where all this discovery around the 8M3 bullet originated, with likes of Xenology and Free Range Yoda (may he RIP) back in '06.
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
True, its an easy sign-up, though, and full of great info to compliment our studies here. In fact, that's where all this discovery around the 8M3 bullet originated, with likes of Xenology and Free Range Yoda (may he RIP) back in '06.

Can you find out an Administrative e-mail account? I appear to have registered before, but don't recall my username. So, I can reregister (because my e-mail is in use), and can't get my username, 'cause I can't log in, and they don't list an administrative e-mail account unless you are logged in.

Shades of catch-22, I guess....
Link Posted: 9/20/2009 5:24:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you find out an Administrative e-mail account? I appear to have registered before, but don't recall my username. So, I can reregister (because my e-mail is in use), and can't get my username, 'cause I can't log in, and they don't list an administrative e-mail account unless you are logged in.

Shades of catch-22, I guess....

PM sent
Page AK-47 » Ammunition
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top