Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/23/2006 11:37:14 AM EDT
So I have finally found soemone that will TIG weld the rails in for me. But I have a question that I couldn't find a definitive answer to in searching through all 7 pages. Do I have him TIG weld the entire length of the rail or just certain sections? If just certain sections then which sections?
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
i mig welded mine, i looked were origional ones were spot welded and drilled 1/4'' holes in those places of reveiver, then clamped the rails in place and started the weld on the rail itself then swirled it in with receiver metal, then just grind the humps flush.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:08:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I am also welding the rails..and from what I've seen you drill a few small holes where the spot welds would normally go... then you put the rail in place and pool the weld over the rail (in the hole) to fill the hole.

This reminds me... those of you with mig welders, what size wire did you use and I'm assuming it wasn't flux core... ?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 12:13:15 PM EDT
[#3]
You would want him to do a plug weld.  Take a look at the reference photos posting and look where the spot welds are on a factory weapon.    I would then drill 3/16 holes in your reciever where the spot welds normally would be and have him fill those holes in with weld using your rails as a backing. Do not drill in the rails.  I MIG welded mine in using this same procedure with great results.  I opted to Mig over TIG because there was less heat and warpage because it is a much faster weld.   One of my builds i ground down the welds to look like they were not even there, and one other build i did them so well that the weld looked like a rivet head and i just touched them up a bit  with a dremel to make them look nice.    Believe it or not i like the looks of the rivet head weld look myself.
notice the Romy G build, you can see what looks like low profile rivets.  the Polish underfolder there is no marks to see at all
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:53:40 PM EDT
[#4]
i use .023 wire and 75%argon/25% co2 sheilding gas.
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 4:30:55 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
i mig welded mine, i looked were origional ones were spot welded and drilled 1/4'' holes in those places of reveiver, then clamped the rails in place and started the weld on the rail itself then swirled it in with receiver metal, then just grind the humps flush.

+1 works like a champ

booger weldz. (.023, argon mix)

Grind 'em down.

Link Posted: 3/23/2006 6:24:30 PM EDT
[#6]
offroader and turbosc, thanks.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top