Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2005 10:36:13 AM EST
Was I scammed by Wolf Ammo?

Wolf Ammunition recently rejected a rebate that I submitted for the purchase of their 7.62 x 39 ammo. Before I decide whether to file a complaint I would like your input in this matter: was I scammed by Wolf Ammo or was this a misunderstanding?

Several months ago I purchased a case of Wolf 7.62 x 39 ammo at a gunshow. The dealer gave me a coupon for a $15 rebate to be paid by Wolf. The case of 1000 rounds was unopened. The box was marked “7.62 x 39 FMJ”. More importantly, the box did not say “Copper” or “Bi-metal” anywhere on it. The coupon said that the rebate was for “7.62 x 39 Copper Jacket Wolf”.

I received a letter from Wolf yesterday, and instead of a check I received a letter that said in part: “Your Rebate was declined for the following reasons: …Rebate form was for 7.62x39 Copper Jacket.UPC submitted was for 7.62x39 Bi-metal Jacket.” Please note that the UPC did not say “7.62 x 39 Bi-metal”; it said “7.62 x 39 FMJ”.

I am pissed at this point. Here is my line of reasoning.

First, the carton did not specify “Copper” or “Bi-metal” – just “FMJ”.

Second, it has been my experience, and probably the experience of the majority of AK collectors, when they think of current manufacture full metal jacket rifle ammo they think “copper”. The only non-copper full metal jackets that I have seen are steel jacket from World War II and aluminum jacket on Silvertip ammo. In both cases the jacketing was on handgun and not rifle ammo.

Third, I looked through the current issue of Shotgun News and read the largest ad for Wolf ammo that was placed by Gulf Coast Ammunition. No where in the ad is “bi-metal” mentioned. The 7.62 x 39 and 5.45 x 39 ammo is described as “FMJ”, “Copper HP”, “HP”, or “SP”. No where is there a distinction between copper FMJ and bi-metal FMJ.

Fourth, I did a google search on “full metal jacket ammo” and looked the highest ranked retailer of ammunition that sells Wolf products. This retailer, the-armory.com, shows for 7.62 x 39 the following types of cartridges: “7.62 x 39 FMJ” and “HP”. They do not make any distinction between copper FMJ and bi-metal FMJ. Those two words are not even mentioned.

Am I overreacting or do you guys agree with me that Wolf has a legitimate reason for not paying a rebate?

I have 7 AKs to feed with the 8th on its way (Bulgarian AK-74 with side folding stock and shortened barrel). I have nearly four thousand rounds of 7.62 x 39 and 5.45 x 39 ammo at hand about half Wolf and half Barnual. I am not sure at this point whether I will buy any more Wolf products given the way they treat their customers.

Let me know.

Thanks for your input.

Link Posted: 3/15/2005 11:16:21 AM EST
A few minutes after posting this message I received a call from Wolf. They said that "FMJ" ammo was was referring to "bi-metal". They stated that copper jacketed ammo is sold mainly to limited market (e.g., California), that it costs more to manufacture, and that the rebate was offered to make it price competitive with bi-metal ammo. The gunshow dealer evidently gave me the wrong carton which has lead to the confusion.

Wolf has corrected this situation, and I appreciate their willingness to do this.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 12:40:30 PM EST

Originally Posted By seattlekayaker:
A few minutes after posting this message I received a call from Wolf. They said that "FMJ" ammo was was referring to "bi-metal". They stated that copper jacketed ammo is sold mainly to limited market (e.g., California), that it costs more to manufacture, and that the rebate was offered to make it price competitive with bi-metal ammo. The gunshow dealer evidently gave me the wrong carton which has lead to the confusion.

Wolf has corrected this situation, and I appreciate their willingness to do this.

I was going to say that the dealer gave you the wrong coupon....Pretty much all of the russian 7.62x39 and 5.45x39 is steel jacketed, with a copper wash, the only "real copper" wolf I've seen is the 154gr softpoints. I didnt know about the Cali stuff.

Glad they called you and straitened things out.
Link Posted: 3/17/2005 2:22:03 PM EST
The difference between bimetal and copper Wolf is not in case construction or bullet design, but in bullet jacket construction. Bimetal uses some steel in the jacketing, copper just uses.. well, copper. The boxes are different, bimetal boxes have an all black background, copper has a half black, half yellow background. Copper jacketed wolf is comparatively rare, and is normally sold to those that shoot at ranges that prohibit steel jackets. It costs more.

Both types come in FMJ and HP.

A pic of the copper jacket box:
Top Top