Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/15/2003 2:13:54 PM EDT
Wanted to get your thoughts on the Authentic Warsaw Pact standard butt stock length vs. the ergonomic, 1.25 inch NATO length.

I picked up my Hungarian SA 85M a month or so ago and don’t really care for the light soft wood furniture. I’ve been thinking of getting a NATO length stock set and the TAPCO M249 pistol grip for the rifle.

Hoping to get some advice, feedback, suggestions, experiences, etc.

Thanks

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 2:38:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I assume you're referring to the KVAR US stock.

The "NATO" stock isn't any more "ergonomic"
than the " Warsaw Pact" one , just longer.

If the stock on your SA 85m now seems short to you then sure, go ahead and get the longer synthetic.

As far as the "SAW" grip goes , it's nice,
(I got one on my FAL) but looks odd on an AK
to me.

Here's some other grip choices...
riflestocks.com/ak.html

Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Standard lenglth all the way for me...I'm 6'6" and I can't stand the longer stock...JMO...
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 8:56:23 PM EDT
[#3]
My stocks mix lengths, but I prefer fatter grips such as Ergo.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 10:23:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Is the Dragunov style thumbhole stock that comes on the Romak Ak's the same length as the standard "WarsawPact" AK buttstock?  When I free up some $$$$ I plan on converting my Romak2 to standard AK specs (appropriate # of US parts, etc).  
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I believe the Dragunov stock is the longer US length and to me more comfortable.

My cousin has an AK with the Dragunov style stock that is longer than the stocks on my two AKs and his is much more comfortable to shoot than my rifles are, that’s why I’m considering getting the US or NATO length stock.

What I don’t want to do is make the rifle too ling but I’m figuring the extra one plus inch of plastic isn’t going to kill it. I want the weapon to remain light and mobile.

As for the SAW grip, I too think it looks kinda funny on the AK but they are very comfortable (at least on the SAW). The little bakelite grip that is on there now is just too small for my paws.

Anyone else?

Best regards, T
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:55:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I find the "NATO" length a little too long, and the "warsaw pact" a bit too short.  The ACE on my SLR-95 is in between and perfect.  If I only had the choice between long and short, I'll take short.

I have the SAW grip on my Norinco .223 and it's great.  I might put one on one more of my AKs, but the others will probably stay commie, as it does look odd.

Ross
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 3:29:13 AM EDT
[#7]
THe standard length is great for kids, too.  I put the US-made standard length on my daughter's converted Saiga in 223, and it fits her just fine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:06:45 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had one of the 1" rubber pads that was $7 from tapco on my SAR1 for a few years. Works great, looks ok on dark stocks, easy to change.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 5:26:50 AM EDT
[#9]
I got the 1.25 on my Sar1. I hate to say it but I enjoyed the standard length a little better & I'm 6'4.

Link Posted: 10/16/2003 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I personally prefer the standard length AK stocks. The longer stock can be a pain to shoulder if I'm wearing an LBV, also if it's cold out I will obviously have to wear a jacket of some sort and the longer butt will just get caught up again making it a pain to shoulder. I find the standard length AK stocks to be of the perfect length.

The Kollector
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 11:16:50 AM EDT
[#11]
The longer length also puts the weight of the rifle further from your body so it will be harder to shoulder for a long period of time without your arms getting tired. I had a SAM7 with the longer length stock and I hated it.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 1:41:52 PM EDT
[#12]
The AK's stock is the exact LOP as the original M16/M16A1's, even then the A2's are only 5/8" longer. I think once you get used to the shorter stock, you'll want them on all your guns, especially guns you want to shoulder quickly. All my AR's have the A1 stocks on them and all my hunting rifles are short stocked.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 2:47:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the stardard length, Bulgarian poly stock the best.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 3:38:48 PM EDT
[#14]
To expand on what AK103A said.

The length of pull on my SAR-1 is the same as my SKS. Which is the same as on my M1 Garand and Springfield 03a3.

What makes the short AK stock feel so short is the length of the cheek piece along the top edge. It is much shorter than the other rifles and this makes you put your head in a different place then you're used to.
Link Posted: 10/16/2003 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Here's my one thought on the matter:

If you're trying to make your Kalashnikov "comfortable" then you're missing the point.  These are no-frills, down and dirty combat rifles.

Besides, don't you want your AK shooting experience to be as close to the military originals as possible?
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 3:22:27 PM EDT
[#16]
If your nose isn't touching the dust cover, you have the wrong cheek weld for a AK.  Warsaw Pact length for me and I am 5'11".
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top