Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/20/2005 4:38:04 PM EDT
I just bought a GP wasr 10 from aim surplus and it came with a slant break, but I wanted to put an ak74 style break on it. I was wondering if this would be as simple as swapping the front sight block? Could you still swap the FSB if the muzzle is already threaded with 14mm threads for the slant break or do I need to get a whole new barrel? thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:15:54 PM EDT
in theory the break will screw off. thats the theory.
i've heard that some of them are cross threaded and some of them have gotten stuck really badly, so the practice of simply getting the slant break off may play out to be a bit harder.
options that may work, heating it up , breakfree, prayer.
i dont advocate knowing for sure that any of these will work, but those are some ideas.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 1:44:29 AM EDT
Not all WASR brakes are 14mm LHT

You may have one of those that have a 1/2X20 RHT (thats the case with my WASR, you can tell by looking at the brake, if its 1/2X20 it should have the letter "C" stamped on the brake, if that is the case, you are out of luck, because you can't find any 74 style brakes w/ that thread, or it may be very costly to get one custom made)
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:51:25 AM EDT
I was thinking of removing the brake from my recent GP WASR as well, to complement the MPi-KM look I'm shooting for when my East German furniture arrives. Mine has a little pushbutton behind the brake on the muzzle side of the bottom of the front sight post. I pushed this and fooled with the brake a little, but not knowing quite exactly what the button did, I did not pursue it. Does anyone know how this works? If this is in fact the way to remove the brake, are you just supposed to leave the muzzle bare, or are you supposed to install a muzzle nut? Confusing but fun.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:42:52 AM EDT
well. like i said, the theory is that you should be able to remove the break, but that has largely been met with mixed results for a number of reasons and even once off, the ability to find something that goes on there has been iffy too. the little pushbutton you are talking about is how the break on many other threads are held in place. it locks in so that the break doesn't simply spin off. the wsars dont seem to need to for whatever reason. i've got a wsar that i would love to get the break off of, but i'm more concerned with finding the threads in such terrible shape i can't do anything with it -or- that once i get it off its not the standard ak threads and no break for me anyway.

amidst all this, i'm just leaving it on for now... sucks too. there are some other breaks(74 ie) that i would love to put on there. i guess that will just have to go on my romy/amd builds. if i knew for sure the thread size i could always put an old AMD break on there. those things look mean.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 12:20:55 AM EDT
Sorry for reviving this somewhat older thread, but I thought my experience of a few moments ago might help or encourage someone.

I normally have the worst luck in the world... (and in reality I don't believe in luck)

I learned about the "C" stamp from this thread and immediately went to check my AK. Sure enough, mine is stamped with a "C". Then I decided to just see how tight it was on there as I now knew which way to turn it. Well, I pressed down on the little button and was able to HAND TURN the brake off of the muzzle. The threads on mine are 100% fine.

Now get this... I was needing 1/2X20 RHT for a project I was considering, and had assumed that once I took the break off I would need to sleeve and rethread or something because I did not know about the "C" stamp.

Can your believe that? The brake came off by hand and just happens to be the threading and direction I needed!

I thank you all for the information in this thread. I was putting off the project because I thought the brake would be too tough to remove and that I was going to have to change threads anyway. LOL

Who knows, if you are wondering if your brake will unthread, try it by hand. You might get lucky as I did.

Good info on that "C" stamp. Thanks again!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 6:16:46 AM EDT
Attention ya'll. If anyone out there has a slant break with the 1/2x28 right hand thread, in good shape, and you're not planing on usein' it, would you like to part with it? The barrel on my '01 WASR has been turned down but I can still do the 1/2 in thread on it. Don't want to use the adapter or shimming crap. Wantin' it to look as "original" as I can get it. Pop me an e-mail if ya do. Thanks.Madtechcool
Top Top