Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/19/2003 4:42:30 PM EDT
OK... This has probably been asked before.  I've owned 3 SKS's but I am thinking about an AK. What is the best one to buy in the $300 to $500 range. I would require it to be able to handle high cap. mags., good furniture(synthetic or wood), in 7.62x39.  China, Russia, Yugo, Chec....  Give me your recommendations please.....I'm probably the 1000 person to ask....Bare with me!!!
Thanks...

Link Posted: 9/19/2003 4:58:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out the Bulgarian SAM7 rifles, and the post ban Hungarian AKs. The Chinese MAC 90s are decent too, but not as good as the Bulgariab SAM7 or Hungarian AKs.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Try the SAR series.  Not a bad gun.
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I would go with the AK103 with Chris at AKUSA.
www.ak-103.com
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 4:52:50 AM EDT
[#4]
At Federal Arms Corp, they have the standard Arsenal Inc SA M-7 rifle for $534 dealer cost, which will be a bit higher than what you wanted to spend. IMO, they are currently the best standard production post ban AK being offered to us.
If you choose to spend the extra money for one of these, here are some of it's features:

Forged and milled receiver (not stamped, or milled from barstock). The forged and milled is the way the Bulgarians make their milled receivers

Forged and milled fire control group (hammer, disconnector, and trigger), same method used by the Bulgarians to make theirs for their milled receiver guns

Quality polymer US made stock sets, except for the SA M-7 Carbine, which has a standard length buttstock that is Bulgarian made. (their US made stocks are made by using the exact same German material used by the Bulgarians to make their sets)

Phosphate base finish under a black painted final finish (as the Bulgarians and Russians do with their modern AK variants)

Appearance based on the Arsenal of Bulgaria AR-M1 design, which all those cool Bulgarian waffle mags were designed for

All new components, with nothing taken off of any other already assembled firearm

Original Bulgarian barrel assembly

Original Bulgarian bolt and bolt carrier

Original Bulgarian hard chrome plated gas piston, which is installed using the proper method. This means threaded on most of the way (leaving just a tad bit of a wobble), and then properly pinned in place. This is the correct way for this component. Some other's AK's are not being done correctly in this aspect, with some even being welded in place.

All components are either made in the USA (under license of Arsenal of Bulgaria), or actually made by Arsenal of Bulgaria itself......no mystery components.

Easily obtained parts access. While Arsenal Inc is licensed to use the Arsenal name and logo and to manufacture weapons under that companies name, their friends (the K-VAR Corp) are the Bulgarians outlet for Arsenal of Bulgaria components. If one wants spare parts or accessories, K-VAR has the goods for your SA M-7 :)

The only AK variant gun assembled by a company licensed by a true former Communist Block AK manufacturer

Built from scratch to be what the final product is. This means no parts taken out of it and replaced with something else, and no mag well conversion. When you buy a SA M-7, you are buying what the gun was meant to be like from the beginning of assembly.

Are offered in olive drab green or black polymer stock sets, with plum sets also available through K-VAR.

Available with scope rail or without

Available with no muzzle brake and standard length buttstock (SA M-7 Carbine)....OR.... available with muzzle brake and extended length buttstock (standard SA M-7's)

An obvious look of overall quality components and assembly

A good standing reputation

I'm sure there are more very good points about these rifles, but these were just some that came to mind.

IMO, if what you are looking for is a quality current production post ban AK variant, these are the ones you should be looking at.

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top