BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2006 8:58:15 PM EDT
what do I need to know ?
I've researched a bit and see tons of varieties and a few reviews

are there certain models, serials, years, etc. to avoid ? (known problems, jams, stovepipes, etc.)

local shop I trust sells Romanian AKs for $400

but I want to make sure it's not a model/make/year that is known for problems before I spend $400+

of course I'll inspect the bore and everything I can before buying

this will be my first AK so any helpful feedback is greatly appreciated

Thank You

according to this thread
http://ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=93&t=70455
lots of people think Romanians are the lowest quality AKs hinking.gif
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:12:16 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm an AK newbie also.  From what I have researched, the bottom rung Romanian AK is the WASR 10.  This particular variant sells for $319.00 at AIM surplus, with a bayonet, sling, cleaning kit and mag pouch.

If your gun shop is selling a WASR 10 for $400.00 I would definately pass it up.  But there are other  variants of Romanian AK's out there, I think??  So just do some searching around and find what you like.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:21:40 PM EDT
[#2]
good to know, thanks for the info
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:26:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Are there capsule-shaped dimples above the magazine well? This would indicate the rifle for sale is a SAR1.

www.themartialist.com/images/myak/akm%20receiver.jpg

If it is a WASR10 the area above the magazine well looks like this:

www.frontlinearmory.com/gunsmithing/wasr10/akk2.jpg

I agree that $400 is too much for a WASR10. Some might pay $400 for a SAR1 because dimples are the 'correct' feature on a military AK receiver. Both configurations work well if the rifle is correctly assembled. Keep in mind that retail stores rarely meet or beat the prices of online wholesale dealers, so your rifle will cost a little bit more than it lists for on the internet unless you buy it directly and use your local FFL as a transfer agent.

Galland
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
i dont know, i gues 400 aint that bad considering they charge 13 for shipping and it will be whatever ur ffl charges. If you want it now than buy it.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:22:14 AM EDT
[#5]
This site has just about everything you need to know about Romanians.

www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:41:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
i dont know, i gues 400 aint that bad considering they charge 13 for shipping and it will be whatever ur ffl charges. If you want it now than buy it.

Yeah, but I got a guy down the street that does transfers for $35.00... and those aren't friend prices, I just called to ask the other day, cuz I'm in the same pickle.  I'm sure if you shop around you can find similar transfer rates... That's 319+13+35=$367.  The guy local is selling for $400.00 +tax (which at the very lowest is 5%, or $20).  That's a $50 difference...
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#7]
thanks all for the links and info
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget about bayonet, mags, sling,  etc....
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:28:10 PM EDT
[#9]
My first Romanian had a canted front sight block, nasty finish, and ugly wood. I took it to a gun smith to have it refinished with Gun Coat. While it was there I had the FSB straightened up and changed the trigger group to a Red Star adjustable. Nice rifle now. I think I paid about $375 for mine with 2 30 round mags, sling and cleaning kit. I bought mine before the ban ended so I threaded the barrel myself and put a plunger pin and flash hider on it. Trigger slap can be bad with the WASR. You can install a G2 trigger from Tapco pretty cheap. I started buying Chinese AK's. Much better quality and best triggers from the factory. You can usually pick up a MAK 90 for under $400 at the pawn shops.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 1:27:59 AM EDT
[#10]
most (if not all) WASR GP's are coming with the tapco G2 already installed

aside from the finish and unfinished stock, they are great rifles
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top