Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/18/2013 8:58:47 PM EDT
I want to build or purchase(build seems cheaper) 2 - 5.45 and 2 - 7.62.

The Plum and Bakelite should be 5.45, correct?

The Russian Red and(looking for suggestions) should be 7.62, correct?

Should I buy Saigas and convert?

What is the proper hand guard etc. for a bakelite magazine?
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Russians used Amber Shellac, never anything red.  Anything you see advertised as "Russian Red" is a misnomer due to ignorance....either on the part of the seller, or the buyer.  Either way, it's not what right looks like.

If you want to get an AK that has more of a classic Russian wood look to it, buy Russian wood.  Don't become another victim of the "if we call it Russian Red that means it's an exact replica!" crowd.  Please.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 7:20:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I have been down this road. I love me some Saiga conversion time. I suggest that if you do it, you do it all the way. Trigger guard, FSB, GB, lower HG rtetainer. I've done them from black poly to Russian laminate and everything in between. Here are a few examples.

Link Posted: 1/19/2013 9:54:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Is all Russian AK's with Bakelite mags and hand guards folders?
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:29:53 AM EDT
[#4]
No.
The earlier Russian folders and standard rifles had wood, later they were polymer.

AK magazines are not Bakelite.
Bakelite is a phenolic resin mixed with a filler like saw dust.

The red magazines are made of a polymer called AG-4.  It's some type of hard plastic.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 10:40:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Learn something new everyday. Total newb here.
Link Posted: 1/19/2013 11:40:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Russians used Amber Shellac, never anything red.  Anything you see advertised as "Russian Red" is a misnomer due to ignorance....either on the part of the seller, or the buyer.  Either way, it's not what right looks like.

If you want to get an AK that has more of a classic Russian wood look to it, buy Russian wood.  Don't become another victim of the "if we call it Russian Red that means it's an exact replica!" crowd.  Please.

+1

its all in the shellac, variations in color range from honey - brownish red.

All depends on what Ivan mixed up that day
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 11:43:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Anyone got a favorite for conversion parts and wood?
Link Posted: 1/20/2013 1:25:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Anyone got a favorite for conversion parts and wood?

What kind of wood Do you want?

I would keep my eyes on the equipment exchange.

Lots of good stuff shows up there
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top