Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2005 6:27:32 AM EDT
Any help appreciated! Thanks for any input!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the 24" set. I have an 18" pair and so far I've been able to get to all the rivets I need to but the longer reach of the 24" cutters would be nice.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I only use the 18" cutters.  However, I have read that if your building a underfolder you will need a longer reach to crush the lower rivet and that the 18" isn't long enough.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 12:23:15 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Get the 24" set. I have an 18" pair and so far I've been able to get to all the rivets I need to but the longer reach of the 24" cutters would be nice.

The upper two rivets on the folder are easy, but how did you access the lower rear trunnion rivet?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 5:49:45 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
The upper two rivets on the folder are easy, but how did you access the lower rear trunnion rivet?

Through the mag well. The top rear rivet is what I had the most trouble getting to!! I think I'm going to grind some off the straps that bolt to the jaws for a little extra clearance.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 6:28:20 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By Hammer in PA:
I only use the 18" cutters.  However, I have read that if your building a underfolder you will need a longer reach to crush the lower rivet and that the 18" isn't long enough.

The 30" work real nice and give you a lot of meat to work with to avoid the jaws breaking.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
24" minimum to do the rear trunnion.  
Link Posted: 10/7/2005 8:46:15 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Through the mag well. The top rear rivet is what I had the most trouble getting to!! I think I'm going to grind some off the straps that bolt to the jaws for a little extra clearance.

Did I miss-read your question TheOtherChris? If your talking about the lower rear rivet on the rear trunion of an underfolder, I've not had to deal with them before. I've only built two Romanian kits all the way through that had standard stocks. I do have a Yugo underfolder kit, and one of Harlans receivers is on the way. So well see how it goes.

If your talking about the lower rear rivet on the front tunion I went through the mag well.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top