Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/24/2005 9:24:05 AM EDT
I was just curious as to what some of you guys with more experience feel the best receiver to build a Polish AKMS underfolder on would be? What requires the least amount of modification and tooling? Thanks for any help!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:47:58 AM EDT
It's my understanding that Global 1.0mm rec require the least amount of fitting and modifications. However, almost all receivers are going to require modification for an underfolding stock (cutting out for the rear underfolding trunnion).
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:43:15 AM EDT
Thanks for the input!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:09:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/24/2005 11:16:20 AM EDT by R-32]
If you want to fold your own...

These flats start out as the standard flat . The holes are precision machined for use with the Polish Underfolder kits.

How about these at AK-Builder for $35?...

I have a Polish underfolder kit that should be here anytime, and this is the route Im thinking of going..
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:42:58 AM EDT

Originally Posted By R-32:
If you want to fold your own...

These flats start out as the standard flat . The holes are precision machined for use with the Polish Underfolder kits.

www.ak-builder.com/ak/images/receiv16.jpg

I have a Polish underfolder kit that should be here anytime, and this is the route Im thinking of going..

The problem that you could run into with precut holes for the rear trunnion is that there may be very small variances between the precut out hole and the actual rear trunnion that could cause some issues. I've heard that if you beg Global Trades, they will cut the rear trunnion out for an underfolder (at extra cost) but that they don't like to do it for the reasons mentioned above.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 8:13:56 AM EDT
Global trades will sell you an underfolder receiver, but it is a special order item and there is a wait to get it delivered. It is also true that they advise against buying their precut underfolder receiver and favor cutting the underfolder holes to match the trunion used.

I built a couple of 1.6mm Global underfolder cut receivers and had none of the problems they worried about, they worked great for me. The 1mm factory cut underfolder should be the easiest way to put a polish kit together. Supposedly Jimmy is considering offering a factory install of a pistol grip reinforcing plate as well. I haven't seen a 1mm global underfolder cut receiver in person, but that would be my choice - 1mm global underfolder cut with grip plate. Definately a special order and probably a few week wait though.

I personally would avoid the underfolder flats and the altered Vulcan underfolder receivers. I don't mind flats and have had good luck with vulcans on a couple standard stock builds, but an underfolder puts a bit more stress on the back end of the receiver. I'd go with a full heat treated receiver with a grip plate. That pretty much means Global or eubanks. A third possibility - DCI is estimating around 6 weeks to unveiling their AKM receiver. They will probably offer an underfolder version very soon. Their Yugo receivers are kick ass, so there are high hopes for their new AKM offering.

s & p
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:19:59 AM EDT
I don't want to hijack the thread but who offers blanks for them?
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 11:39:01 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmedAndDangerous:

Link Posted: 9/25/2005 7:15:13 PM EDT
I have worked with Curtis at Ak-Builder when he was developing those flats for the underfolder. It is true that the trunions vary slightly, but of the three kits used to develop the flat, the variance was so slight it took very little effort to make everything line up. The flats work very well for the home builder that has the proper tools to do the job. Try them out. I do not think you will be dissapointed.
Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:05:04 AM EDT
stay away from the precut specially if your building a polish
ive built or helped build 10-15 and ive had to make 3 diff sets of rear plates
they have atleast 2 diff rear trunnions (that arnt even close to the same)

i dont doubt they they had little trouble getting them to work
but i also think they got vary lucky
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:14:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By R-32:

Originally Posted By ArmedAndDangerous:

Blanks, not flats, or am I just not finding them?
Top Top