Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/21/2010 7:32:18 AM EDT
As I read MA law, the expired fed ban 18, 921 applies.  18, 921 stipulates "flash hiders or barrels threaded to accept flash hiders".  Since the AK-74 has a threaded front sight block and not a threaded barrel, it appears to me that All I have to do to an AK-74 to make it MA legal is to neuter the bayonet mount.  Am I missing something?

Also, if a mag has not date on it, what is its status?  Presumed innocent?
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 8:44:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Laws are made by lawyers for lawyers to keep lawyers in business.  Im sure that if you are willing to spend thousands of dollars you can get an attorney to answer that other than that I'd suggest you ask the guys at a gun store if they have any insight on that, they will likely tell you to move to a more gun friendly state.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for your input, but as it doesn't even vaguely address my question, I don't see the point of it.  

I am not interested in some gunshop commando's opinion.  

I read the law.  The law seems clear to me.  "Same as the (expired) federal law" which does not prohibit a threaded front sight base.

The customer's transfer dealer will accept it with a neutered bayonet lug and a tack-welded brake.  

I am indifferent.  Although as a kid, I  spent many summers at my GP's house on the Cape, I don't live there now.  I need to know if there is some other ruling by the  MA AG   that prohibits a threaded front sight, or if the transfer dealer is mistaken and my customer should seek a better informed dealer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2010 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Are there repercussions for you if you send it and it's not allowed in that state? I'm very curious.
I would rest the duty to discover the items legality in MA on the purchaser and let it go at that unless there could be problems for you. I can definately understand your concern with not wanting to get yourself or allowing your customer to get themselves into hot water.
I honestly think the only way you or your customer is going to get any definative answer to the question is to write a letter to the MA AG office itself and wait for an answer.
I guess this reply has no new info for you either. Sorry about that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2010 6:50:07 AM EDT
[#4]
My understanding is that the transfer dealer is the one responsible.  I could ship a non-compliant rifle to another FFL and they could neuter it there before transferring.

It just hurts me to modify a rifle to comply with a non-existent law, because an FFL doesn't understand . . . but I want to make sure I'm right before telling the customer his FFL's an idiot.

Link Posted: 3/22/2010 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I see.
Good luck with your inquiry. If you think of it I'd be interested to know what you find out if you don't mind posting it.
Link Posted: 3/25/2010 6:43:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
My understanding is that the transfer dealer is the one responsible.  I could ship a non-compliant rifle to another FFL and they could neuter it there before transferring.
This would be correct. Non compliant guns can be shipped to an FFL in Mass then it is the dealers responsibility to make sure they transfer the gun in a legal configuration to the resident. However, some dealers just don't care about the laws and will transfer to a resident in a non compliant configuration.

It just hurts me to modify a rifle to comply with a non-existent law, because an FFL doesn't understand . . . but I want to make sure I'm right before telling the customer his FFL's an idiot.

As for the question about the mag especially in the case of AK mags it pretty much is assumed that the mag is preban if it's not blatantly obvious that it is post ban. Obvious post ban mags would be something from Tapco for example or if a mag has a glaring date stamp that is post ban.
Link Posted: 7/18/2010 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#7]
If their law is verbatim of the expired AW nonsense, the threads count.  The only threaded FSB allowed was the Romanian 22mm, as there was no flash hider made for it...just a muzzle brake.  If you were to blind pin the '74 brake to the FSB, you'd be good to go...this, if their law is as the former AW one.  Liberals are lazy and I'd be willing to bet it is.
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 7:14:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks but  you're totally wrong on the expired federal law.  the Fed Ban clearly states "or barrels threaded to accept a flash hider" and the AK-74 does not have a threaded barrel.  In fact, the US made AK-74 brakes I had made during the ban are the same ones I'm selling now ('cause we made over a thousand of them).  The 5.45 romy doesn't have a threaded barrel either, but it wasn't cost effective for us to produce the brakes in M22.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 5:26:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Gunplumber,
You are better off asking this question in the HomeTown Forum
New England
Page AK-47 » AK Reference
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top