Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/17/2004 4:03:00 PM EDT
I have a Hungarian SA85M and have been cruising the internet trying to find other rifles like mine and see how they were set up to get ideas for mine. All the rifles I have seen have a longer barrel and gas tube than mine. I have looked at prolly 300 pics on the web and cant find not 1 like mine.
My barrel is 16" from muzzle to rear of chamber and my gas tube is 5.75"
Is this rare ?

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:45:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Hmm
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:53:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Some SA85's were made with the standard AKM gas tube while others were made with the shortened AMD 65 gas tube.It sounds like you've got the shorter AMD 65 gas tube.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of the Hungarian post-ban AKs came with a short AMD65-style gas tube.   Your AK should be the same in every other respect.   That's all there is to it.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:57:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:15:21 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Some were imported with a short gas system.  I cant remember what they called them.

The downside is you cant use an American made piston towards the parts count to add a pistol grip.

Tapco sells a US gas piston for the AMD-65 www.tapco.com/product_information.asp?number=AK0663&back=yes&dept=39&last=39
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:20:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:50:51 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Link to pic

Some were imported with a short gas system.  I cant remember what they called them.

The downside is you cant use an American made piston towards the parts count to add a pistol grip.

Yep, thats the same as mine.

So my rifle will be kinda unique ?

I like it even more with the coolness factor
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 4:49:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:44:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I cant remember what they called them.

the sa-2000.

they were often fitted with the choate dragunov style buttstock in my area.

I had one once upon a time, and while I was deployed It got stolen, along with a few shotguns and my 1901 dated Nagant, and a couple .22's.  oh did I mention that they took the whole damn safe?  never heard anything from the cops regarding the weapons, hopefully someday I'll get the SA2000 back, I really liked that rifle, even though it is a Klintonized 10rd only rifle in its present config.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top