Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/4/2006 3:48:08 AM EDT
If you saw a SAR for $400 and a GP WASR (with all the stuff and decently made) for $320, which would be "better" to buy?  When would you consider the price difference unacceptable?

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:15:58 AM EDT
[#1]
I think it depends on what you wan't. If you want a threaded muzzle and bayonet lug then go with the WASR if you can try a few mags to see if they fit properly, if not go with the SAR. SAR's are no longer imported so I think the price on both are fair.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Most  folks will tell you it comes down to the reciever dimples. The Sar has them, and the Wasr does not. I will say that if getting the rifle into military configuration is important, the Sar will be tough if the barrel threads have been turned down. Personally, I prefer a threaded barrel and Bayonet lug to mag-well dimples, if I have to choose.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Go with the SAR.  The fit and finish is much better than a WASR.  You can rent a die and thread the muzzle for only $20. Link

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:03:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Sar I would rather have a receiver not messed with by the monkeys hen

Besides they have.

http://xs62.xs.to/pics/06013/DIMPLES.jpg

Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:22:47 PM EDT
[#5]
But...

If the new WASR has a better trigger (I hear they are using TAPCOs in them now), and the muzzle thing is $27, and add the trigger - $35, you are now up to $462 - a $130 difference.  Sheeeesh! tough decisions.

I hear the issue on the mag well, but have read that you can open them up as much as you want, adn get them to work as well as a SAR.

Dimples vs. lugs/brakes... hmmmm....
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 9:47:15 PM EDT
[#6]
From what I heard, both the WASR and the SAr both have the wobbly mag problem regardless of the dimples.  The SAR seems like a much more authentic AK and comes already pretty.  The WASR is the kind of gun that you buy so that you can fix her up.  Both will shoot well, its just that the WASR needs some stain and a nice shellac before she looks good doing it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:21:23 AM EDT
[#7]
I guess that the "much more authentic" means the dimpled reciever makes it more authentic, than having a bayonet lug and threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:24:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Some mags fit tighter than others in AK's but I don't think it's the same type of wobble that some  complain about the WASR having. From what I understand Century Arms sometimes does a poor conversion on the WASR rifles, sometimes the mag well is not opend wide enough, sometimes too wide. The SAR rifles sometimes have trigger slap that can be easily fixed for free with a Dremel or you can buy a Tapco G2 FCG. K Var sells a Romanian gas chamber with bayonet lug if your able to do it your self or you can have a smith install it.
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top