Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/11/2004 5:52:07 PM EDT
Ok, I'm thinking of getting a AK47.  I don't want to spend much $$$.  My AR has taken a lot of the funds.  I would like to eventually put a under folder on it, or get one that has it.  Not much $$$ is in the $300 range.  

Which one?

Another question pertains to the accuaracy of this weapon.  I'm not looking for a 600 - 800 meter gun.  I would like to know what kind of MOA you can expect at 100 - 300 meters?

Any advise from you guys would be much appreciated.
Thank you,
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:43:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Some advise please............  
My brother has a Mak90, but I don't want to get the same thing he has, unless it is the best for the price.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Underfolder in the $300 range = good luck. If you're wanting a new rifle you would have to start with a Romanian WASR and then find an underfolder. You could start with a single stack and convert it yourself. If you can even find an underfolder rear end, then you could do it for $300. Another choice is to find an underfolder kit and build one yourself. I did this one back when the Pole kits were available. Total price = $250.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Get a wasr-10 then slap on a side folding stock.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:58:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Side folder wouldn't be good if you actually want to shoot groups. I think it is way to short and unconfortable to shoot good. I figure your neck will get pretty tired after awhile. I can shoot my MAK with a choate stock MUCH better than my friends WASR-10 with the folder. Only because mine is more comfortable for me to shoot. But to each their own.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Get a wasr-10 then slap on a side folding stock.

How good is the high cap. modification?  What about those (build) kits?  They any good?
I guess I don't have to get a folding stock.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:11:38 PM EDT
[#6]
The high capacity modification isn't a real big deal. Buddy has a CRUDE looking WASR-10 and his mag opening looks rough. Like someone did it with a dremel...didn't even refinish that area. And it feed perfect. So I don't think the hi-cap mod is that big of a deal.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:30:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Well if that is the case, where can I get a good one at a decent price?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:09:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:24:14 AM EDT
[#9]
You can get a WASR-10 for $300, I know because I just sold mine for that exact price at a local gun show!  It was in excellent condition.
I only sold it to get into an underfolder now that the ban is gone.  The WASR was great fun at the gun range as a plinker.  I would recommend one if you want an AK that has to be within the price range you mentioned.  The rifle was reliable and had no problems.  The have a rough finish, not particulary pretty, but fully functional and you could bet your life on it.
I don't think the WASR is a good candidate for an underfolder...Romanian side folding stocks are out there but are expensive right now.  And they're really ugly, in my opinion!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:27:53 AM EDT
[#10]
That Pole underfolder looks good!!  Where'd you get the receiver???  Can I get wood somewhere like that for the V47 I'm getting from Atlantic?
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 1:04:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Has anyone had any dealings with SARCO?  They have the WASR 10 HI CAP listed for 274.95, and they have them in stock.  The guy said they had a chrome lined bore.  What do you guys think about them.  Shipping is $15 per gun to your local FFL.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:01:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Century Arms will be selling the WASR soon with the Romanian folder. My dealer received a email on them today. I didn't get the details.
Bubba, the Pole is on a Vulcan receiver. Global Trades has laminated upper and lowers on their web site.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:02:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Check out Classic Arms I got the $285.00 deal. Comes with 3 mags 100 rounds of ammo and the WASR is new. Shipping is 10 bucks. They are good people I got my AK in less than a week.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 3:26:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok, back to the question about the Hi Cap conversions.  I've heard both good and (mostly) bad about them.  Some say if no dimple then don't buy it?  I would like to hear from some of you who have shoot these. Please! Gun Show this week end, and I'm thinking about replacing one of my firearms with a AK.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Ok, back to the question about the Hi Cap conversions.  I've heard both good and (mostly) bad about them.  Some say if no dimple then don't buy it?  I would like to hear from some of you who have shoot these. Please! Gun Show this week end, and I'm thinking about replacing one of my firearms with a AK.hr

Majority rules. Does the Mrs. know about the replacement plans?hock.gif
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 4:15:32 PM EDT
[#16]
can someone fix the ak 47 guide page for the ak trigger assembly, the site is down!! :(
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:51:07 PM EDT
[#17]
I was thinking about a WASR as a beater AK... but I checked one out at the gun store today and it was awful. Shitty finish, shitty wood, (dont care about those for a beater tho) very canted front site and the rifle looked bent, and it was a pain in the balls to put the magazine in and the mag release was stiff.

the only AK I have is a poly legend so I guess its an unfair comparison... but I wish there was a good sub-$400 AK I should have bought a SAR-1 a few years back.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 6:56:34 PM EDT
[#18]
For the money the WASR's are fine rifles. Yes, they are not the prettiest and their mag wells will more than likey require some filing to smooth out (mine did), but you won't find a cheaper AK.  The Century converted mag wells look good, they just didn't "clean" up the cut. Nothing a file can't easily and quickly fix. The lack of dimples has zero effect on how the WASR fuctions. I've got a single stack WASR-2 on order with Century whenever they arrive.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:19:54 AM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the info JoeBud...that's a SHARP AK you've got there!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 6:35:29 AM EDT
[#20]
JeffersonDarcy,
    I had a WASR...and I had a lot of fun with it!  I only sold it to get into a "non-ban" rifle.  Mine DID NOT have a canted sight and get it sighted in was no issue...it shot with reasonable accuracy for a Romanian, was reliable and cheap enough to throw around.  
    The mag problem is very easy to fix and you can do it two ways.  You can file a little off the mag release (where it contacts the mag) or you can take a little off the mags where they contact the mag release.  JUST BE CAREFUL THAT YOU TAKE OFF THE MINIMUM THAT YOU NEED TO GET A GOOD FIT OR YOU'LL HAVE THE OPPOSITE PROBLEM...SLOPPY MAG FIT!  
    Yes the finish is rough...I think it's just black paint.  I painted some old beater mags with high temperature flat black paint from the local hardware store, and it matched the rifle perfectly.  I think you could just spray on high temp paint on the whole rifle if so inclined, but I never bothered.  
The furniture varies on these rifles, so if that matters to you then don't buy one sight unseen (i.e. like having your FFL order one from SGN).  However, if you look around you'll find one with decent wood.
    For a beater, you can't beat a WASR...I had great fun cooking the cheap paint off the barrel!        
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:14:40 AM EDT
[#21]
if I could get one for under $300 that had straight sights I would get it probably.

the one at teh gun store yesterday was $369

and I dont really care about the wood because I would probably replace the handguards with black poly hgs and the stock with the romanian sidefolder.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:37:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Your local dealer probably has $300 in it by the time he paid shipping (if it's new).  He's not unreasonable on the price, I paid $350 when I bought mine.  They usually have a little wiggle room on price.  
I used to see the Romanian side folders at gun shows for $40.  No-one wanted them.  Now, with the ban gone, local dealers around here want twice that for them.  Make sure you're doing the right thing here.  Your better bet may be to buy an AK set up the way you want rather then putting money into one!  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 7:52:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Thank you everyone.  Your advice has been helpful.  I've decided that i won't get one unless I stumble into a nice one at a very low price.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top