Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 5:51:25 PM EST
I'm goin' shopin' for my first AK tomorrow. I'd really like dimples but if there's a nice looking WASR there should I? I'm really anal about that sort of thing but it's not just the dimples. It kind of naws on me that they had to do 'work' to make it hi-cap. Are the converted mag well/catch as rock solid as the original or no? If so, I'd then only have to get over the dimple thing.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 6:29:33 PM EST
Get it. I love my used one. Finish isn't pretty, magwell conversion isn't pretty, but everything works flawlessly. Best $300 gun I've ever bought (besides a new savage model 11). With the wear on the finish and everything I probably paid a little much for it, but it was a straight out the door gunshow deal.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 7:10:19 PM EST
screw the demples mine doesnt havem and im glad it doesnt. GET THE WASR. unless you want to spend the money on demples...( i dont)
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 8:16:13 AM EST
Suck. They only had two 7.62's to choose from. One, an Arsenal I couldn't afford but it was nice. The second was a WASR but it was mugly. The FSB was so canted that you almost had to lay the rifle on it's side to aim it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 2:01:23 PM EST
I just picked up a WASR today. I think it's fantastic, mines a Dradunov which has a wooden stock and won't take a hand grip but that's ok I've got an Ak 47 all decked out. I may like to add a tripod but go without a scope (I''ve got a POSP scope for my AK). I'd like to keep the gun as stock as possible but if there's any slight modifications out there I'd really be interested. blumist
Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:07:34 PM EST
I would say go for the wasr, if you don't mind doing a little work (I enjoy tinkering).

I have recently purchased a wasr - 10 and hear nothing but grumbling from the masses as to the.... beauty of this firearm. Well, after sifting through information at linx310's site, I took a few days to improve the ugly duckling into a ... well you decide.

1. Cut the over exaggerated spine off of the disconnector - slap gone
2. Polished FCG parts (not Pictured) - MUCH better trigger feel and response
3. Polished charging handle - pretty
4. Polished butt stock plate (poorly pictured)
5. Instead of neutering, I polished the cleaning rod - really helped carry the polished butt plate and charging through the rifle - good balance
6. Refinished furniture (the original wood was rough and untreated thus absorbing lots of grease, oil and dirt. All gone now.)
7. Safety has been 'notched' to allow the charging handle / bolt to be safely locked back with the fully engaged fire safety. This little safety feature goes over well at the rifle range during the cease-fires.

The pics are kinda crappy but here they are anyway:

AK pic 1
AK pic 2
AK pic 3
AK pic 4
AK pic 5

Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety. - Ben Franklin

Link Posted: 10/1/2004 3:53:52 PM EST
Looks nice. I've got the Romack 991 and I can't add a hand grip as you can see by the picture on the Romania AK site. The 991 has a really nice butt stock, I'm going to keep it as is except do a little work one the wooden parts (sanding, restaining). I'd still like to mount a tripod on it. I'm going out to my friends farm and we're going to see which shoots better at 100yds his Mini-14 or my 991. Blumist
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:28:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2004 8:29:18 PM EST by Big_Gay_Al]
I bought my WASR-10 a couple of months ago. It was one of the best deals I've made recently, other than trading a defective, used Taurus PT-940 for a new Firestorm Gov't .45.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 10:22:56 AM EST
i bought my AK about four years ago. the dealer called, told me it was in, i drove over (all excited), took it out of the box IT WAS A WASRhe
i didn't like it, i took it back, he swapped me out. now i'm happydon't settle, if ya want an SAR, get one or you'll always wish you had. i'm not saying the WASR is a bad rifle. it's just not what i wanted, and honestly, i don't think it's what you want, either.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 2:49:44 PM EST

don't settle, if ya want an SAR, get one or you'll always wish you had. i'm not saying the WASR is a bad rifle. it's just not what i wanted, and honestly, i don't think it's what you want, either.

I agree. I am happy with my wasr, but its been a week now and if your still at the '...well ......ya know......but maybe ... ' stage, just take a step back, re-evaluate the reasons you want this type of firearm, and purchase the one YOU want. Even if it means that have to delay the purchase until you save up a couple extra $$. You'll be much happier. And don't forget that when you do finally purchase, a posted range report with pics is ..... manditory hose
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:22:43 PM EST
Bought the WASR. No pics and it's been a week and I haven't been able to shoot it yet. If it works good, I'll be happy.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 4:04:56 AM EST
I bought mine about two months ago, and it is a wonderful gun. Just watch out for canted front sights and gas cylinder.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 7:17:32 AM EST
I liked my WASR so much I bought a second one. I put a Romy folding stock on the first and the second the wood stock. I like AKs, as long as they are not shooting at me. IE in Iraq.

Max
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 10:36:31 AM EST
I bought a WASR the first of the year and I have been nothing but happy with the gun. Shoots well and is accuarte too. I went to linx310's site like 1_Wolf did and performed some of the same mod's that he did. I would like to get a second one.
Link Posted: 10/9/2004 5:01:20 PM EST
I did. Today.

Can't pick it up until the store opens again on Tuesday.
Link Posted: 10/10/2004 6:52:05 AM EST
"screw the demples mine doesnt havem and im glad it doesnt."

Kind of a dumbass statement right there, IMO... The WASRs aren't bad if you get a decent one, but I prefer the SAR-1s - I bought one before AIM ran out, and after a little tweaking(trigger slap cure), I think it could keep up to any other AK - it has been stone reliable, and doesn't shoot bad at all - actually, it's more accurate than I thought it'd be - approx 2-3MOA...

I REALLY wish I'd bought a SAR-2 while they were still available for under $300 - oh well...

- georgestrings
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:08:18 PM EST
Hello, i'm new here. Anyway I just bought a WASR-10 today. Haven't fired it yet though. Only thing strange is my 10rnd mags that came with my MAK-90 won't fit. The looks are fine by me, although the finish of the wood has me thinking about dirt and oil. Not as bad as the yugo sks i bought though. If I find some flat wood finish i'll probably redo it. I'll see what kind of accuracy I can get with my dragunov scope I put on it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:20:03 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/14/2004 11:20:23 AM EST by anykey]
1_Wolf, how did you get the charging handle so shiny? I took all the blue off mine, but its just kind of a dull grey. Let me know.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 4:34:24 PM EST

1_Wolf, how did you get the charging handle so shiny? I took all the blue off mine, but its just kind of a dull grey. Let me know.

I used the standard issue 1ea AK47 gunsmithing tool .... (dremel) w/ a small polishing wheel, and a couple hours of slowly cleaning - polishing - cleaning - polishing - you get the point. Also used fine files to remove any .... ickyshe
PLEASE NOTE I said I used a polishing wheel. Do NOT use a grinding / sanding stone. Unless of course you enjoy destroying your equipment.

I also polished the cleaning rod, butt plate, fire control group, and the bottom of the firing pin assembly.

Those who sacrifice essential liberty for temporary safety are not deserving of either liberty or safety. - Ben Franklin
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 12:50:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By 1_Wolf:
7. Safety has been 'notched' to allow the charging handle / bolt to be safely locked back with the fully engaged fire safety. This little safety feature goes over well at the rifle range during the cease-fires.

How do you notch the safety, I checked out linx310's site and didnt see anything about it.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/24/2004 11:38:38 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/26/2004 6:35:32 PM EST
I used the pic of a notched safety as a template and busted out the dremel. Turned out fantastic! Thanks for the idea.
Top Top