Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/1/2006 1:36:47 PM EDT
Because the WASR and SAR are parked, I SUPPOSE that I can strip it down and spray and bake on Gun-Kote, OR just spray and wait if I use Duracoat. True? Anyone do this? (I know that if a gun is not parked, and you want a durable finish, you either park first or blast - and this is the tough part).

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:49:32 PM EDT
Paint over the park, The parkerized finish gives a great base coat for gun finishes, I'm putting together a whole parkerizing setup just to use the park finish as a correct sub base to a better finish like gunkote. Degrease the rifle then paint over it. McM
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 2:04:20 PM EDT
what he said
the park is such a good base you can finish with just about anythang and it will holdup well
yes even that $.89 can of storebrand spraypaint will holdup well over park lol
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 7:02:48 PM EDT
Has anyone done this? (Apply Duracoat or Gun Kote OVER the existing WASR finish???) Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:24:07 PM EDT
I just parked and sprayed 2 romanian kits and they turned out great. I definitely recommend spraying gun kote or something similar over the park finish.
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 1:59:49 PM EDT
Paint over Park is the PREFERED method... just be sure to do the right prep work...

1) Degrease with brake cleaner.
2) BAKE your gun at 325F for 30 minutes - watch TONS of grease that you didn't know about boil out :)
3) Degrease AGAIN with Brake Cleaner.
4) Do a final degrease with Acetone.

Now spray on your gunKote :)
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:09:37 AM EDT
Thanks all - but I wonder if the existing park from Century is OK as the base?
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:52:21 PM EDT
I'd follow the steps that Trotsky suggested. As long as the original finish is in decent condition, it should turn out great.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 5:39:02 PM EDT

Originally Posted By briang2ad:
Thanks all - but I wonder if the existing park from Century is OK as the base?

Its fine, just do it!
Top Top