Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/23/2005 10:27:20 AM EDT
2 years ago I took the plunge and got into the AK addiction. My first was a WASR-10. I guess like most here I got into AKs more and more and started building and my WASR spent most of the time in the safe. Now it's time to resurrect it...

So I have a couple questions on possible barrel swaps. The WASR isn't very accurate right now because I guess I screwed up the crown a while ago, so I was thinking a barrel swap would just be better anyway. I have a bunch of barrels that Tapco was selling a couple months ago off the current batch of Romy "G" kits. Will these barrels be inherantly more accurate that a WASR barrel being military issued? I'm guessing not, but I'm not sure. Swapping out the barrel will only take me 20 mins--I'm just thinking this is the easiest fix. I could always re-crown the WASR barrel and put it on something else later. After all, this is the fun part of AKs, mixing and matching things for projects years down the road

Anybody think this is a good or bad idea? Keep in mind I only paid $30 for the barrel and don't really care how much it's worth now or later because I wouldn't sell it anyway. It's either sitting in the crate or used in another project. Thanks.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:44:56 PM EDT
If you change or "swap out" your current barrel you will have to re-headspace the rifle. For which of course you need gages and possibly an oversized barrel pin.

If you just re-crown your old barrel you just go to the range and smile.

I doubt you would see any accuracy difference in either barrel given a good crown.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 4:51:08 PM EDT
Although you could pull your WASR barrel and compare it to the TAPCO barrels you have, if one matches up on the breech end and the pin indent, it would likely headspace ok when installed. If none are right then you would have to work a bit harder at it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 5:28:11 PM EDT
i would sell the wasr
build myself a "G" rifle better in almost every way
and pocket 100 bucks for other projects :)
Link Posted: 8/23/2005 6:39:37 PM EDT
I already have 5 "G" rifles (well, only 1 is built so far), so I don't really have a need to sell the WASR. That and I'm a hoarder so I rarely sell things. I'm prepared to do the headspacing and have everything I need to do it.

I went to my local dealer (class III, black rifle friendly) and he said he couldn't recrown because his machine wasn't big enough. I sort of have an idea how to do it myself from what I've read here, but I just figured swapping the barrel (esp. if the headspace isn't an issue with putting in an oversized pin) would be easier and cheaper. I know the WASR is a crappy AK to be putting work into, but I just want the thing to shoot accurately. I guess I could try re-crowning myself and if I screw it up I could pull the barrel and/or saw it off for another project and stick the "G" barrel in it. I guess I answered my own question?

Link Posted: 8/23/2005 9:19:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/23/2005 9:47:25 PM EDT by Maxxx]
I'd try to recrown the rifle. If you have other AK's that you use, it can be a good learning tool.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:26:51 AM EDT
think of it this way-
whats the worst thing that'll happen, you'll mess the barrel up and have to swap it anyway?
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 5:30:38 AM EDT
Very true guys, thanks for the advice! Re-crowning it is...
Top Top