Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2005 5:43:34 PM EDT
I just bought a WASR-10, and it appears to have no hold-open feature; is this standard?

Thx
Read
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:15:18 PM EDT
[#1]
AK's do not have a bolt hold open.  
Sometimes the bolt will stop on the hammer if you work the action slowly by hand, but this is not a positive hold.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:18:49 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats the only problem you cant fix with an AK.  Change out the stock and pistol grip for M4 style, put a railed gas block and handguard, a good red dot,  light and laser but still no bolt hold open
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Ah, my friend's Hungarian holds open when you pull the bolt back half way. Thanks for the clarification!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 8:27:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I would not trust to put my finger in the chamber.  I would bet money that if you have the rifle a smack, the bolt would fly home.  

Better yet, lube the rails, and the top of the bolt with some break free and see what happens.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:55:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey guys i just bought a WASR 10 and you guys are right the bolt doesnt hold open but sometimes it sticks.  i would not trust it either.  Still a great gun!!!hug.gif
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:37:31 PM EDT
[#6]
There are some mags out there that will hold the bolt open on the last round,but without a proper hold open device,the pressure of the bolt is on the mag follower and as soon as you wrestle it loose the bolt will close.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:24:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Lol I always get in toruble at the guns shows because of the bolt. I just got back fomr a greensboro show and the first day i had 3 people working on my gun to "fix the bolt". I kept telling them that the bolt would not stay open and they said i didnt know what i was talking about. Finnaly after 10 mins i asked if they were done trying to "make my unloaded gun safe" yet and red faced they let me into the show! All in all i ca deal with the bolt, bring on the ammo!
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I read a trick to keeping the bolt open after I cut a notch in my saftey. Here's how it's done. Pull the bolt back and hold it. Then pull the trigger and hold it and slowly release the bolt. It works on WASR 10.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:55:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Get some Yugoslavian mags, they hold the bolt open after last shot is fired...  centerfiresystems.com has them for $14.99 each.

Or, you can replace your safety selector with this one... http://www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/swift.htm
it has a bolt-hold open built in.

Either way, problem solved for under $30.

Here's another link to the selector switch...
Blackjack Safety Selector bolt hold open
Page AK-47 » Romanian
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top