Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
4/1/2020 4:14:10 PM
4/1/2020 6:58:51 AM
Posted: 11/28/2004 5:39:42 PM EDT
Anyway for the do-it yourselfer to get rid of magazine wobble for my WASR-10 hi cap?  I do not want to risk reliability or magazine changing though.  I am away from my WASR now so I cannot look into it personally to see if some rubber insert would do the trick, any known cures?

p3
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 10:21:03 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/29/2004 11:58:50 AM EDT

Originally Posted By RS39:
bit loose is better than tight, define 'wobble'
or if it runs, ignore it
or buy slightly fatter Bulgy waffle mags
or degrease, jbweld, file

Runs well, wobbles if loaded mag and gun is lightly shaken left to right...  I believe I could still move somewhat descretely with it if I supported the mag or just cushioned and moved slower than I would if it was 'solid'.  That's true, I do not want to make mag changes harder than I need to.  Bulgy (Bulgarian, right?) waffle mags are a little fatter than usual?  I am not sure of the make of mags I have now, though never a problem, they have the rib in the back that makes it hard to find mag cinches for.

I've heard of JBweld, never had the pleasure of using it... I should look into that, might be good to have some on hand anyway...  Brownells I'm sure...
Link Posted: 11/30/2004 5:08:23 PM EDT
My new WASR rattles like a screen door when you shake it. Bought it that way, and expected it...

Seems like an AK is SUPPOSED to rattle.

Larry
Link Posted: 11/30/2004 5:39:44 PM EDT
Well, I am trying to get mine to be a smooth operator and quiet.

Has Ultimak Front Rail on it, Tri-Rail front handguard with folding forward grip, will have flashlight mount on the side (or eventually be sharing a Surefire Weaponlight front grip + light), all with Kvar furniture...  

I think 7.62x39 works better for CQB than .223, delivers more energy to where I would be aiming at targets in a fast shot.

=)
Link Posted: 12/1/2004 7:56:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Phoenix_III:
Bulgy (Bulgarian, right?) waffle mags are a little fatter than usual?

Yes,  they are sometimes wider than steel magazines.  Try one.

Otherwise magazine "wobble" is not unusual.  My Romak-1, SAR-2 and even the SLR-95 (I used to have) have some wobble.

Link Posted: 12/1/2004 8:22:53 AM EDT

You must have missed this post:

Before You Buy That New AK - Hunk Of Crap Alert...  
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=286113

Then there is one to dream about:

The Vector AMD 65...A Photo Review...  
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=296706

And if you are just sick of all the arguing about which is best:

Why My SKS Is Better Than Your AR-15...A Classic SteyrAUG Post...BOTD Warning...
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=297424
Link Posted: 12/1/2004 8:29:40 AM EDT
Thanks for the links.  Fortunately my WASR is a champ in terms of never misfeeding/inserting a magazine, straight irons, and reliability.  Just wondering how much wobble is normal.  I should pull out my friends VEPR II that is in the safe adjacent to mine and see, though they sometimes have TIGHT magazine wells IIRC.
Link Posted: 12/2/2004 9:25:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/4/2004 6:32:34 AM EDT by RS39]
Link Posted: 12/13/2004 6:22:16 PM EDT
I'm pretty pleased with my WASR-10 also.  I've had to tweak it here and there, but have learned a lot about the rifle by doing so.
It seems that the country of origin of the mags makes a difference. The 20rd Hungarian mags I got from TAPCO fit perfect. They seem to be wider in the front and fit snuggly in  the machined area of the mag well (front trunion).  A Russian 30rd I have fits a little less snug.  And the Romanian mags are the loosest.
I solved the mag wobble with a little JBweld to build up the welded-in mag guides. Sorta like making internal dimples.  All my mags load with no problems (not too tight) and the loosest mags I had have no wobble or rattle.
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 9:57:21 AM EDT
I have the exact opposite problem.  I have several 30's and drums that won't fit in my WASR.  Guess Century didn't mill it out enough.  Going to Linux's site today with gun in hand and dremel tool to fix my problem.

My SAR works with everything I have put in it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 11:53:53 PM EDT
I used JB weld, very little, to build up the mag well, sanded when dry to size, I have a dozen mags only one was too tight so I filled that 1 mag. Now all mags fit and function great.
Link Posted: 12/30/2004 11:54:06 AM EDT
WASR-10s are just cheapass bullet tossers. I have neither the time or the inclination to waste energy or money trying to "fix" mine. I just keep it for bump fire blasting action, and shoot my AR-15 when I want to shoot a quality weapon.

It's a good "loaner" weapon for someone when you're hunting hogs up close or wasting ammo on garbage.
Link Posted: 12/31/2004 10:14:26 PM EDT
Excuse me while I eat my words.

I took all the furniture off my WASR-10 today and started sanding and staining.

Guess I've found the inclination.
Link Posted: 1/3/2005 10:47:39 AM EDT
"Excuse me while I eat my words.

I took all the furniture off my WASR-10 today and started sanding and staining."

Hahhaha... sweet!

If the mag issue bothers a person, you could recreate the dimple effect by making two little pieces of metal the inner size of the dimples on a regular AK receiver, and weld them into the opening (where the dimples would noramally go) to solidify the top of the mag in the receiver, then do the JB weld trick around the magwell opening...

Thats gonna get it about as tight as you want it depending on the time and care of your work.

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 2:24:23 AM EDT
My WASR mags don't wobble any more than any of my other AK type rifles.  I did find that the Hungarian 20 rounders fit a little tighter.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 1:18:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2005 1:32:55 PM EDT by Hk_Kommando]
Why not use a Shotgun? The mossberg 590 Special Purpose is the ultimate CQB weapon.  Delivers a LOT of energy at close-in ranges, and comes with "tactical" features.

Hey, the US Military and Police agencies world-wide can't be wrong!

Or, did you just want your AK to be......."cool"?have
I love my WASR's, I've put one through absolute HELL, it's my "beater" rifle, and it's put out for me every time!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:09:11 PM EDT
The wobble doesn't disturb me as much as the possibility of uncertain penetration. The welded plate presents a possible snag. The forward third or so seems to be potentially obstructive.
Using JB Weld I filled from the magwell opening,ramping up and over the horizontal component of the plate. After final precision "Dremilling" this should preclude MagSnag during hasty insertion with high delta X component.
I like the Wasr, when I went looking the only things with Dimples where Milled and Heavyand Expensive, or wearing tight jeans and selling Hot Dogs.
Top Top