Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 8/30/2005 6:13:30 PM EDT
Ok, guys, help me out here.  I've wanted to add an ak47 to the collection but, as always, moneys tight. The local Dunhams is having a sale on wasr-10's $150 off (now 299.99) AND they have layaway... So first question: Am I wrong in the belief that a wasr-10 is the same gun as an "AK47" (in the same way that a Bushmaster is an "AR15"?  Second question: If they are the same, then is there any reason why I wouldn't want one of these Romanian wasr-10's? I now they can be had cheaper than $299, but layaway is a nice factor for me right now.... Any input would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:33:53 PM EDT
[#1]
hit it like a retard on a drum set.
that's a good price and you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:19:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Go for it.  They go bang EVERY time you pull the trigger.  You won't be disappointed.  

ETA: The only reason people will tell you for not owning one is because they don't have magwell dimples (which don't matter as the WASR has plates for the mag).  Don't worry, start with one without dimples and you'll soon find yourself buying lots of dimpled AKs....  Also, check for canted sights, pick out a good one.  Be sure it's a high cap as well (wide mag opening).
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:20:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
So first question: Am I wrong in the belief that a wasr-10 is the same gun as an "AK47" (in the same way that a Bushmaster is an "AR15"?

the WASR-10 is actually  a  copy of a AKM, without being select fire.

Second question: If they are the same, then is there any reason why I wouldn't want one of these Romanian wasr-10's? I now they can be had cheaper than $299, but layaway is a nice factor for me right now.... Any input would be appreciated.

if you can find a AK for less then 299.........let us know, becuase that 299 is a lot cheaper then the ones I have seen being sold for. 299 is a great  deal. I would jump on it..........just check to make sure the front sight and gas block are straight
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 7:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]

they don't have magwell dimples (which don't matter as the WASR has plates for the mag

If you would, explain this a little more for me (im an AR guy..)
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:06:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I say go for it. As long as it is a double stack and not a single.

Go handpick one. Make sure the finish is ok (buddies tends to rust alittle if it isn't drenched in oil) and make sure the front sight block is straight.

Only thing I think a WSAR-10 must have is a new trigger group. Those century arms trigger groups suck. 30$ tapco trigger is very nice.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#6]

As long as it is a double stack and not a single.

By double stack are you refering to the mag well width? (HiCap?) since i have no frame of reference (having never handled an ak in person) how do i make sure? is it wider than an AR mag? also whats the dimpled / not dimpled mag well bit about? I'm  JUST getting into AK's.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

As long as it is a double stack and not a single.

By double stack are you refering to the mag well width? (HiCap?) since i have no frame of reference (having never handled an ak in person) how do i make sure? is it wider than an AR mag? also whats the dimpled / not dimpled mag well bit about? I'm  JUST getting into AK's.

Just make sure that it takes 30 rounders. The dimples are small indents on each side of a stamped reciever akm rifle. Most prefer them for the look so that its more "real".
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:47:55 AM EDT
[#8]
The finish on WASRs isn't what some people think it should be. Personally, I don't expect much from a $300 rifle in terms of finish. Mine has gone bang every time I pulled the trigger. That's about 2000 times now.
The magazine dimples refer to indentations in the sides of the receiver between the mag catch and the barrel. AKMs have them, WASRs don't. Don't worry about them.
Make sure the rifle takes 30 shot mags. Test if you're not sure.
Some WASRs come with fire control groups which leave a lot to be desired. Some are fine. Try yours first and decide if you need a replacement.

Buy LOTS of ammo. You'll need it

Welcome to the darkside, as they say.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 3:53:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Another thing.  Check out the threading on the barrel that's if its threaded at all.  A lot of the time they are all chewed up so see what you can do about getting it off and looking for the best one.  The break is also cross threaded so you'll have to turn it the opossite direction that your used to with your AR-15 Flash Suppressor.  299 is a good price got my for 200 from a friend and it was a 2002 one of the better years I liked it, you'll have fun with it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:02:29 AM EDT
[#10]
single stack v double stack refers to the magazine. the single stack has bullets stacked one on top of the other and are not high capactiy. in return the magazine is not as wide and the magwell in the gun is narrower. the doublestack are offset, one side then the other more like the ar-15 mags. make sure the gun accepts 30 round magazines, otherwise either you or a gunsmith is going to have to open it up and for all that effort, you could order from aimsurplus or something like it for about the same.

like they said, check for a cant.
www.gunsnet.net/Linx310/cant.htm
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:42:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like a good deal.Like as has been posted,make sure to hand pick for a straight front sight base and gasblock.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top