Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/7/2007 7:08:39 PM EDT
Thinking about a Yugo kit build, saw a "Vulcan" brand receiver at a gunshow yesterday. Are they any good? Thanks. Greg
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:19:33 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd rather contract syphilis.
Run away from anything Vulcan/Hesse/Special Weapons.
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 7:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I'd rather contract syphilis.
Run away from anything Vulcan/Hesse/Special Weapons.

Ouch. To the point.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 2:26:39 AM EDT
[#3]
I can take a hint, LOL! Thanks. Greg
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 3:04:06 AM EDT
[#4]
the yugo rec's are actually ok but they take more work then the nds
and make the rifle worth less cause of the name
your better off with a nds

Link Posted: 10/8/2007 12:19:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Ohio Rapid Fire was giving away "free" Vulcan receivers with Yugo M85 & M95 kits. I got a couple "free" ones. They are absolute out-of-spec junk and worth almost what I paid for them. For a Yugo "mumps trunion build, get a NDS. There really isn't any other 100% receiver option.

Here is a review I did of the Vulcan vs. NDS about a year ago, with pictures

I have underfolders from both makers. I have posted in the past in defense of Vulcan AKM receivers. I bought and used a handfull and was generally satisfied with them. I don't have as high an opinion of the Vulcan Yugo receiver. My opinion is from handling the receivers only, I have not built with a Vulcan Yugo type.

DCI is as good as it gets in receivers right now IMO.

The Vulcan has some problems. I probably will never use the two Vulcan Yugo underfolders I have because they are too far out of spec for me. They could be made to work though, I believe. The two Vulcan receivers I have are freebies included with ORF M95 kits.

Here are some poor pix of a DCI vs Vulcan underfolder. The Vulcan receiver is from ORF. The Vulcan originally had quite a bit of scale on it but has been polished clean with a wire wheel. The DCI is as I received from NoDakSpud. The DCI is made of .063" metal - the Vulcan measures about .060". Both have the manufacture info on the bottom in front of the magwell cleanly stamped. The Vulcan is stamped for two calibers, 7.62x39 and .233. I assume .233 is a misprint for .223. The lower rails on both receivers are in proper position - DCI perfect, Vulcan slightly low but within tolerance.

The first image shows the receivers side by side, bottom to bottom. This shows the Vulcan as being longer, having oversize rivet holes for the rear trunion, and as having a AKM style pressed dimple at the selector hole.

Vulcan top- DCI bottom

Fronts side by side. The Yugo "mumps" bumps are shorter on the Vulcan. Both will fit a Yugo trunion though. The DCI rails "float" a bit more into the mumps pressings because they are longer. The magwell dimples differ. The Rivet holes on both are correctly sized. The Vulcan rivet holes needs a little "egging", the DCI are dead on.

Vulcan top - DCI bottom

The bottoms showing the trigger and pistol grip cut outs. The Vulcan is totally incorrect for a Yugo and will need a AKM type pistol grip nut to work.

DCI top - Vulcan bottom

Right side front. Again, different dimples. The DCI has selector notches and F & S marks. The Vulcan is smooth. Spot welds look very similar.

DCI top & Vulcan bottom.

Top view
DCI top, Vulcan bottom

s & p
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 7:42:06 PM EDT
[#6]
NoDak receivers are by far the best out there.
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 10:20:27 PM EDT
[#7]
What about Eubanks?

Same as hesse or whatever?
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top