Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/16/2004 3:23:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 12:37:17 PM EST by echap]
I am way behind you guys, in the fact that I just built my first Ak on a Vulcan receiver/Centerfire systems AMD63. I have ran a few hundred rds thru it and the ejector is wearing quickly.

I think I should try to harden it before it’s gone. Can I heat it up with Mapp gas and pour water on it? Will this harden it? Or should I try and get someone to tig weld it? The rifle is now built and I don’t really want to disassemble it.

Thanks,
Eric
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 5:09:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By echap:
.... I have ran a few hundred rds thru it and the extractor is wearing quickly....

Eric

It's ejector not extractor, and yes you can have someone tig the tip, then file to fit.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 12:39:43 PM EST
It's still there, well at least 97% if it, so I think that if I can harden it, it will be fine. I don't have access to TIG welder, so hardening would be a better fix at this point.

Will Mapp gas get it hot enough to harden?

SRI about the ejector/extractor mixup. I knew that and must not have been thinking when I typed the original post. It has been edited to be correct for future searches.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:00:53 PM EST
I used mapp gas on 2 of mine and was able to get them cheery red, then poured some motor oil over it.

After a couple hundred rds there is only a very small ding on the upper leading edge of both ejectors which appeared during the first mag and has not gotten worse.
Top Top