Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/15/2015 1:08:05 PM EST
Not sure if this has been posted here, a buddy sent it to me. From what I read it had headspace "issues" .

Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:30:42 PM EST
Wow.

Did it fire out of battery?
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:38:30 PM EST
That was crazy. I can't imagine having that happen to me
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:40:59 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 1:47:36 PM EST by D_CRISIS]
Making it hot
CAI AK blowing up
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 1:43:38 PM EST
It is a CAI built M74...with headspace issues...yes this vid is all over the place to make the AR fanbois wet themselves with pleasure.

That rifle is simply a shitty US build, period. I have a M74 that runs like a raped ape though. I will always prefer a rifle built in a commie AK factory.....given a choice.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:04:13 PM EST
There is no shortage of videos of ARs letting go. That '74 held up well if that was an OOB. The way the dust cover flew off is the reason why we wear eye protection.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:24:40 PM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TJRoush:
It is a CAI built M74...with headspace issues...yes this vid is all over the place to make the AR fanbois wet themselves with pleasure.

That rifle is simply a shitty US build, period. I have a M74 that runs like a raped ape though. I will always prefer a rifle built in a commie AK factory.....given a choice.
View Quote

And this is why i will never buy a crappy Century built rifle, including the new ones they are hawking as the best AK's in the world.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:31:50 PM EST
Originally Posted By mech4matsnova:
There is no shortage of videos of ARs letting go. That '74 held up well if that was an OOB. The way the dust cover flew off is the reason why we wear eye protection.
View Quote

Roger that......on both accounts!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 2:56:30 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 3:00:14 PM EST by ARsR4ME]
Boy that gives ya a nice warm and fuzzy. Especially if you have one in the safe.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 3:41:52 PM EST
I had that exact model rifle except with the melty synthetic handguards, glad I sold it!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:13:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By FlyLeaf:

And this is why i will never buy a crappy Century built rifle, including the new ones they are hawking as the best AK's in the world.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

"But they've changed!"
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:23:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By D_CRISIS:
Making it hot
View Quote

What you did there. I see it
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 6:27:26 PM EST
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 7:15:52 PM EST
Originally Posted By agillig:

"But they've changed!"
View All Quotes

"But they've changed!"

LOL!
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 9:53:29 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/15/2015 9:56:13 PM EST by kyron4]
The video poster said those were the very first shots from a new rifle, so either headspace was set wrong or barrel wasn't properly pinned and the barrel worked forward. He said CIA took care of it. If you have one, and it was defective you'd know by now To me, it looks like the main rifle survived , in theory I would think you could repair the rifle with all the original parts and be good to go, but would feel much better replacing the whole thing.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:37:12 PM EST
This damn video is everywhere. It was all over facebook today.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 10:41:16 PM EST
Wow. That would suck.
Link Posted: 1/15/2015 11:45:02 PM EST
That does suck... not the first AK i've seen KB. I've had good luck with the Century WASRs . I've paid a lot more for questionable quality .
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 5:14:20 PM EST
You get what you pay for.

My CAI CETME Sporter was a lemon, and that was when I was was 12 or 12 y/o. My old CAI AK74 Sportster wasn't that well built either. Had to ask on these forums about 'how many rivets can fall out before it's unsafe to fire.'

The Waffen Werks seems good to go, and I like it a lot better so far. That said, it's still a rebuild...
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 7:11:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/16/2015 7:13:37 PM EST by thornejc]
Originally Posted By CavScout8:

My CAI CETME Sporter was a lemon, and that was when I was was 12 or 12 y/o. My old CAI AK74 Sportster wasn't that well built either. Had to ask on these forums about 'how many rivets can fall out before it's unsafe to fire.'

The Waffen Werks seems good to go, and I like it a lot better so far. That said, it's still a rebuild...
View Quote

Waffen werks has super spotty quality (at least for the past 1.5-2 years or so)... people who get a good one really like them but there are just as many people who have been "werk'd over" by POS WW builds. I would not suggest buying one of these rifles to a friend.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:04:34 PM EST
Originally Posted By thornejc:

Waffen werks has super spotty quality (at least for the past 1.5-2 years or so)... people who get a good one really like them but there are just as many people who have been "werk'd over" by POS WW builds. I would not suggest buying one of these rifles to a friend.
View All Quotes

I got my WW in August of 2011. I'm pretty pleased with it, but maybe they had problems after that. I've never heard of anyone else having issues.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:42:22 PM EST

I got my WW in August of 2011. I'm pretty pleased with it, but maybe they had problems after that. I've never heard of anyone else having issues.
View All Quotes

I started seeing/hearing QC issues late 2013. Kept seeing things pop up thru 2014 but I haven't kept up with their recent productions so things may have improved.
Link Posted: 1/16/2015 8:51:55 PM EST
Shooter said that Century replaced the rifle. They told him it was a headspace problem. Assume the case expanded, ruptured, and blew the mag and the cover.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:29:53 AM EST
Originally Posted By Danger6:
Shooter said that Century replaced the rifle. They told him it was a headspace problem. Assume the case expanded, ruptured, and blew the mag and the cover.
View Quote

Did they send him a new pair of underware to?
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 10:12:07 AM EST

View Quote

Sorry friend, you can't point out the lack of institutional knowledge and track record of bad century built guns around here since they are pimping their new AK's hardcore. If you do the fanboys will attack.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:29:14 PM EST
Originally Posted By Blofeld:

Sorry friend, you can't point out the lack of institutional knowledge and track record of bad century built guns around here since they are pimping their new AK's hardcore. If you do the fanboys will attack.
View All Quotes

When did CAI get fanbois? That's not a rhetorical question - I've always been under the impression that CAI's reputation was that people reluctantly bought their products, knowing they were taking a small gamble, because CAI's pricing is so competitive. I own a handful of CAI products, and I'm always slightly worried when I push the order button, but happy when I pick it up from the FFL and verify that it functions correctly. Given the choice at the same price point, I would take ANY brand of products over CAI and IO/Tiger.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 12:34:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2015 12:35:12 PM EST by pivoproseem]
Years ago, I had a new, Bulgarian Arsenal factory SLR-105-A1R that hadexcessive headspace. Took me a while to figure out exactly what was wrong with it..I thought it was just shitty ammo.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 1:03:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By Slokett454:

When did CAI get fanbois? That's not a rhetorical question - I've always been under the impression that CAI's reputation was that people reluctantly bought their products, knowing they were taking a small gamble, because CAI's pricing is so competitive. I own a handful of CAI products, and I'm always slightly worried when I push the order button, but happy when I pick it up from the FFL and verify that it functions correctly. Given the choice at the same price point, I would take ANY brand of products over CAI and IO/Tiger.
View All Quotes

Take a look at all the ooh's and aah's in the new RAS and milled threads. Lot's of Century love there that really comes out when other people point out that Century does not exactly have a history making good products and lacks the institutional knowledge to reliably turn out good products. Kind of scary, the amount of reality distortion suffered, it's like an Apple forum.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 7:11:02 PM EST
Originally Posted By pivoproseem:
Years ago, I had a new, Bulgarian Arsenal factory SLR-105-A1R that hadexcessive headspace. Took me a while to figure out exactly what was wrong with it..I thought it was just shitty ammo.
View Quote

Just proves there can be a lemon with any brand. I have a lot of CIA rifles and all have been flawless, but I always keep in mind it's a gamble.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 8:47:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By Blofeld:Kind of scary, the amount of reality distortion suffered, it's like an Apple forum.
View Quote

Hmmm... I seem to recall the conversation going more like this:

Thing 1: "This product has potential, Im excited to see how this turns out."

Thing 2: "Century only build shit! Never once in the history of the world has Century built anything that worked!"

Thing 1; "Actually, I've bought a few of their rifles in the last couple of year and they've been fine. Century appears to have turned it around lately, let's see how these rifles turn out before we pass judgment."

Thing 2: "Everything Century has ever built is shit, and thus everything Century will ever build will be shit! You people have such short memories or have no idea what you're talking about! These rifles will be shit, I know this even before the first one is built!"

Reality distortion, indeed.
Link Posted: 1/17/2015 11:06:47 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/17/2015 11:38:12 PM EST by thornejc]

Take a look at all the ooh's and aah's in the new RAS and milled threads. Lot's of Century love there that really comes out when other people point out that Century does not exactly have a history making good products and lacks the institutional knowledge to reliably turn out good products. Kind of scary, the amount of reality distortion suffered, it's like an Apple forum.
View All Quotes

If something works it works... the only two century builds I have had have worked extremely well. My SLR95 is my favorite... after that its kinda a toss up between my Norinco 56s-1 and WASR... my "FIME" SGL31 was the worst AK pattern rifle I have owned. Nothing fit correctly... chamber was cut too tight... hated that rifle. I'm harder on my WASRs than any other rifle I own bc they are cheap so if i break it than i don't really care that much. You base this whole rant off of some experience or just your experience here on the internet (I know there are some things I won't touch bc of their internet rep). But if you buy from somewhere that you can personally inspect, buy from somewhere like Atlantic who will stand behind their product, and there won't be any problems. For a shooter they are actually pretty good.

ETA I know nothing about their USA builds
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 6:57:04 PM EST
I had a Maadi blow up in my face like that.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 10:49:40 PM EST
I can't help but wonder if the barrel was knurled to fit the trunnion. I had a CAI AK74 that I knocked the pin out of and pulled the barrel with my hand. It went back in with a few taps of a rubber mallet. The barrel was knurled at the trunnion. It had been keyholing and I wanted to swap the barrel. Obviously, I didn't waste a new Bulgarian barrel on it after my discovery.
Link Posted: 1/18/2015 11:44:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/18/2015 11:46:03 PM EST by walkinginadangerzone]
I wonder if it was a mil surp mag. Cause those reinforced locking lugs and feed lips kept the top part and spines of the mag in the magwell.

I started seeing/hearing QC issues late 2013. Kept seeing things pop up thru 2014 but I haven't kept up with their recent productions so things may have improved.
View All Quotes

WW was bought by Destructive Devices. And they are doing the warranty work for the AKs WW messed up from 2013 to 2014. The review that MAC did on the new DDI AK47U seemed like it was good to go.
Top Top