Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 10/18/2003 1:10:29 AM EDT
I like having a forward vertical grip on most weapons. Came across this pic on he K-VAR site and thought it looked like it'd be great and look very fashionable.

Does anybody have any experience with this grip or any K grip on their AK?

Best regards, J
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:15:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 5:24:31 AM EDT
[#2]
Some people like them, but try to lay your rifle on something to use as a rest and it gets in the way.  Try to lay on the ground and shoot at a moving target with the grip.

I would stick with the origional.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 6:58:57 AM EDT
[#3]
JTR-  I would agree with OBER & CAMPY's assessments.  When I was in the Army it was comfortable to patrol with a vert grip.  When wearing armor and a LBV it is fairly comfortable to tuck in the elbows and keep the weapon tucked into the pocket of the shoulder.

When doing prone IAD's the magazine gets in the dirt (AK or AR) before the vert grip will, so just tilt the weapon to its left side, ejection port up, to fire.  When firing from a bench, then it takes getting used to.

Other than that, the only people I saw that actually had a standard use for it were the "Special People" who use it for weapon retention & during weapons strikes.  It is amazing to watch the abuse that they put their weapons through!  It was related to me that the vert grip allows better PUNCHING/STABBING force but it takes training.  Look at the DEITER grip, (sold by MSTN) it is the evolved "TOUGH Mo-Fo" grip specifically engineered for their demands.

Having a vert grip does have its ups and downs.  Most of my long arms have them, as that is just what I am used to.  

If you like it, go with it.  Unless it is against some departmental or unit SOP, do whatever you want!  That handguard is a quick swap out, so if you don't like it, take it off and put in over in the Equip.Exchange forum and sell it or swap it for something else!
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 8:23:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
btw, that grip looks to be east german. is it?

Unless I'm mistaken I think it's Romanian.  It's the same funky reddish orange/brown that the Romanian grips are & they were one of the few countries to make AK's with vertical foregrips.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:24:58 PM EDT
[#5]
This is what it looks like installed.  **Not my rifle**

Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:52:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I dont like them on my AK style rifles simply from the stand point that they complicate reloads by being in the way when pivoting the magazine forward.
Link Posted: 10/19/2003 9:54:54 PM EDT
[#7]
I love the vert grip om my AMD. Those are turned backwards, I thought it would be awkward, but it seems very natural, and handles great!
                  OJF
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top