Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/20/2006 6:55:59 PM EDT
I never really considered an AK before for some reasion but I saw one and fell for it. Its pretty damn inexpensive and quite a looker. I guess I fell for the black stock. I am totally new to AKs. I wanted a .223 for the ammo availability and price. What are the pros and cons? It would mostly be a plinker. Any reasion to pick it over an inexpensive AR like the oly arms plinker? Where would I find one for the least $$$? Im at a total loss for knowledge, thats why I dont have any more specific questions.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 9:15:20 PM EDT
[#1]
cons- magazines are harder to find, but  are available
does not take standard ak furniture
barrel not threaded

pro's- reliabe

dont know who has them in stock
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 1:23:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Well I say go for it. I love my Vepr and like you one of the things that drew me to it was the "BLACK STOCK" lol. The furniture is is a lot more comfortable for ME than the standard AK furniture and my Vepr .223 is probably the most accurate AK I have. As far as mags it is not a problem. You can convert the 74mags with the Robinson follower no problem as a matter of fact that is what kind of mag that comes with your Vepr is a converted 74mag and I have had Zero problems with it or the others I converted and it is easy. I have some of the more expensive Bulgarian Waffle mags for .223 but I think the 74mags are faster to change out and work fine. You can order balck ones from KVAR and the followers from Robinson. I do not care if it does not take the "classic" AK furniture since I like the Vepr stuff better any way. If you saw one in stock somewhere I would pick it up. If you want a nice AK and can not find a Vepr get a Global trades or Aresenal they both have the "Classic" look and are top notch rifles. My Global trades however does not have the scope mount on the side.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:41:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 9:56:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I love mine.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:45:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Ok thanks guys! Hopefully Ill be able to get one. Im linking the sounds of them.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 11:56:16 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I love mine.

www.huntingpictures.net/photo/000716

I love those KTRs. The ones I have held bridge the gap between what I like best on the AK and what I like best on the AR. Very nice.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top