Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 1/21/2008 6:23:47 PM EDT
Okay, I have a big choice to make.  I'm currently deployed so it makes things difficult.  Apparently Vector is running out of their milled receivers, and I was really thinking of getting one.  However, if I want one, I'll have to have it sit with an FFL for a few months and I'd have to do everything over the phone/e-mail.  My other option is to wait until I get home, then order a Vector RPD.  I'm concerned with a new assault weapon ban and I know if it passes, RPDs will be completely unavailable.  So, should I go for the AK, get a computer when I get home and hope a ban doesn’t come until '09, and grab the RPD sometime before Christmas, or hold out and nab the RPD when I get back, wait a few months for a computer, and just hope that someday I'll find a nice classic milled underfolder for under $1,500?  Oh, and "buy both" doesn’t cut it, I still have school to worry about.   Thanks!

P.S.  I already own three AKs but they all suck, two WASR-10s and and SAR-2.
Also, RPD = two grand, AK = one grand
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I would go with the RPD when u get back and wait for a while for ur compy. Right now, drums and belts are pretty cheap and fairly plentiful. But, that is just my .02
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 11:52:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 11:19:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Hey, thanks for the ideas guys, so far it's looking like the RPD.  Any other thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 3:08:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:19:46 PM EDT
[#5]
LOL, SOLD     It's looking like RPD all the way.  Hey, I've been meaning to ask, what version is Vector's RPD?  I've read that the first and second versions were underpowered and that they had to change the piston and lighten some of the inards to cycle it more realiably.  

Oh, and just a quick note, my FFL got back to me, Bob's Guns and Tackle in Norfolk, said it would  be no problem at all to hold on to it until I get back and without any extra charge.  Great place, look forward to sending that RPD their way...  unless some Milled lovers speak up.......

Thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:28:29 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
LOL, SOLD  It's looking like RPD all the way.  Just a quick note though, my FFL got back to me, Bob's Guns and Tackle in Norfolk, said it would  be no problem at all to hold on to it until I get back and without any extra charge.  Great place, look forward to sending that RPD their way.  Unless some Milled lovers speak up.......

I guess that is my queue............

That RPD is bad-ass and would be a great gun to own.........BUT

But is less likely to see the same use as a traditional AK underfolder. The AK is great for junkyards, indoor ranges, romps throught the woods with the boys, serve as a trunk gun, Home-defender, or treat the kids to a fun day at the target range. It would probably get more use and therefore be a more practical one to own.

Plus the Vector milled UF is said to be a quality built version with many characteristics true to the battlefield icon.

Never mind re-sale value and the CDI factor..............

YMMV, and to each his own, but the UF would be my choice.
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah, the Bulgy RPD is definatly sweet, and even more rare than the milled AK's. If it's just an LMG that you are after, don't forget about the Arsenal milled 7.62 RPK. I think that Jensen Arms has a few left for around $1300, which is cheaper than the RPD. I picked one up a few months ago and love it.

Not trying to talk you out of the RPD by any means, as I would love to have one myself.

Bulgy RPK
Link Posted: 1/22/2008 4:58:11 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
LOL, SOLD  It's looking like RPD all the way.  Just a quick note though, my FFL got back to me, Bob's Guns and Tackle in Norfolk, said it would  be no problem at all to hold on to it until I get back and without any extra charge.  Great place, look forward to sending that RPD their way.  Unless some Milled lovers speak up.......

I guess that is my queue............

That RPD is bad-ass and would be a great gun to own.........BUT

But is less likely to see the same use as a traditional AK underfolder. The AK is great for junkyards, indoor ranges, romps throught the woods with the boys, serve as a trunk gun, Home-defender, or treat the kids to a fun day at the target range. It would probably get more use and therefore be a more practical one to own.

Plus the Vector milled UF is said to be a quality built version with many characteristics true to the battlefield icon.

Never mind re-sale value and the CDI factor..............

YMMV, and to each his own, but the UF would be my choice.

Couldn't have said it any better.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 4:30:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Well gents, my section went to the range to qualify with our M4s today and got some time on the M249s.  I am sold on getting a belt fed now.  I have plenty of "assault weapons" and it would be nice to have something truly unique.  It does suck having to let something like the Vector Milled go, especially since I've been dieing to get my hands on an authentic feeling AK, but maybe I'll run across one on the EE later.  Thanks for all your help guys.  Oh, anyone know about what version the Vector RPD is?

FYI, since I'm not worried about them running out anymore I figure you guys ought to know Vector e-mailed me and said the are completely out of milled receivers, so what’s left at AF is probably all there is going to be.
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 8:10:05 PM EDT
[#10]
As an RPD owner, I can tell you that it's truly a unique weapon.  Even if you don't get a lot of range time, having a beltfed weapon is just worlds apart from running standard AK magazines through an AK-style weapon.  

I think you'll be quite happy with an RPD.  I have just as much fun letting friends and folks interested in it at the range shoot it.  It's just a different feeling than standard aK shooting.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top