Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 4/11/2006 10:32:55 AM EDT
Hello,

I am new to the AK world and am trying to make an informed decision on which gun to purchase.  In reading through the threads on this forum I keep seeing the Vector AK Classic and the Armory USA / Global Trades SSR 85 C2 rifles recommended.  What is the difference between these two rifles besides price?  Which would you choose and why?

Thanks,
Jim
Link Posted: 4/11/2006 11:14:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Both are excellent weapons.  You wouldn't be making a bad choice with either, IMO.

SSR-85C-2 Pros: 1.6mm stamped receiver, chrome lined barrel, beautiful wood and finish.
                Cons: No bayo lug, light grey parkerizing vs. black, 1 year warranty.

Vector Classic Pros: Nice fit and finish, 5 year warranty, excellent customer service, bayo lug.
                    Cons: I don't believe barrel is chrome lined.  

I'm sure others will contribute their views.

Bud
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:42:53 AM EDT
[#2]
I just got a Vector Underfolder. Haven`t shot it yet but, I would go with tht over the SSR85.

And my Vector`s barrel IS chrome lined!
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 4:44:21 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I just got a Vector Underfolder. Haven`t shot it yet but, I would go with tht over the SSR85.

And my Vector`s barrel IS chrome lined!

Cool!  Wasn't sure about that as it's not advertised as having a chrome-lined barrel.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 10:05:51 AM EDT
[#4]
I find myself looking for the same info. I'm looking at either the Vector Classic Poly or the SSR 85.
The pictures look nearly identical. They're both stamped steel. The SSR 85 has a 1.6mm receiver,
while the Vector has a 1mm receiver. Unless I hear something bad about Vector, I'm leaning towards
the Vector. I want something a little lighter than my Vepr, and the price of the Vector is in the
range I was looking for. I hope we get a few more people answering.

Sam
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:22:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I made a similar post on another forum. Got a few more opinions over there. Here's the link

Link to other thread

Sam
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Im very very happy with my Vector U/F. The Polish kits they're built on are really great looking quality components. Barrel is chromed, looks unissued and shots better than any AK I've had. Vector does top notch work assembling their AKs.

Beware though,  if you get underfolder, they WILL wobble and get loose a little, so it's something you have to live with in the design. It's well worth the trade-off when you get that versatility and awesome compactness of the UNDERfolding design. It has no equal in the world of folders.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:18:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Go with the Vector. I have one of there underfold AKs and love it. Mine u/f stock did start to wiggle some but the good people at Vector arms fixed it and now it locks up very tightly.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 12:45:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool, thanks for the recommendations. I got off the phone with my dealer a little while ago. I should
have a Vector waiting for me when I get home.

Sam
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Go with my fixed stock Norinco 56s (pre ban)(680$ shipped). This is a 100% made at the factory AK-47. They were banned from import in 1989 , and will hold their value much more then a butchered parts kit rifle. If you need pics IM me with your E-mail address.

Check the EE ( It's on there)!!
Just trying to help someone make a wise choice
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 1:55:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Go with my fixed stock Norinco 56s (pre ban)(680$ shipped). This is a 100% made at the factory AK-47. They were banned from import in 1989 , and will hold their value much more then a butchered parts kit rifle. If you need pics IM me with your E-mail address.

Figures...someone who's got something to sell talking about "butchered parts kit rifle" while promoting his chinamonkey-assembled overrated Norinco. Sure they shoot good, but they ain't pretty. I had one.

Take it to the EE, pal.
Link Posted: 4/12/2006 2:26:10 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Figures...someone who's got something to sell talking about "butchered parts kit rifle" while promoting his chinamonkey-assembled overrated Norinco. Sure they shoot good, but they ain't pretty. I had one.

Take it to the EE, pal.

Its on the EE Pal. Your Norinco must of been a real POS. Because the blued finish on all of mine look great. Chinese Pre-bans are In my opinion THE best AK-47's we can get. Yes I have , Vectors , Yugo underfolder , Polytechs , R.A.I. pre bans , and a Arsenal Inc. And I have had in the past WASR , Arsenal USA , Verp. You just cant beat the blued finish on the Pre ban Chinese rifles. I hate the cheap park/paint jobs on the kit guns.I was just trying to give some good advise.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top