Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2010 5:20:52 PM EST
I have a lead on Norinco MAK 90 for 500 is this a good deal? I know that they have thicker receivers and heavy barrels but not musch else.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:30:22 PM EST
Used Maks are selling on various sites for about that....

I love the Chinese Aks...I'd pay that for a nice one...

and then add the Ironwood stock and make it compliant...GTG...
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:45:54 PM EST
Chinese are, IMO, one of the best AKs available. In fact other than an Arsenal SLR-107F (which I don't own) they are about the only AK that I'm interested in. I have two MAKs, one stamped and one milled, and a NHM-90 which is about the same as a stamped MAK-90. I paid $400 OTD for the NHM a few months ago. I'm still on the look out for another and $400 - 450 is my target price but I might go higher for a nice one. In fact when I bought the NHM I had seen it marked higher. When I went back to look at it I had $500 set as my upper limit of what I would pay for it. I ended up getting a better deal on it but yeah, I would have probably paid that for it because I had been looking for one for a little while when I found it. I don't personally buy guns without actually seeing them first so that limits me to what I can actually find in the shops and pawn shops I visit. This usually works to my advantage though since I've never found Gunbroker auction prices to be reasonable for my neck of the woods.

$500 is probably a bit on the high side, depending on your local market, but if it's nice and you want it I'd say buy it, pop in a G2 FCG and a couple other US parts and you'll never regret the decision.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 6:11:24 PM EST
I agree with above. If its nice and you are shopping around for a good AK, id say go for it. It may be just a tad high but i would not consider it a rip off if its what you want.
I picked one up a few months ago and do not regret it at all.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 7:56:07 PM EST
Originally Posted By Imaposer2:
Chinese are, IMO, one of the best AKs available. In fact other than an Arsenal SLR-107F (which I don't own) they are about the only AK that I'm interested in. I have two MAKs, one stamped and one milled, and a NHM-90 which is about the same as a stamped MAK-90. I paid $400 OTD for the NHM a few months ago. I'm still on the look out for another and $400 - 450 is my target price but I might go higher for a nice one. In fact when I bought the NHM I had seen it marked higher. When I went back to look at it I had $500 set as my upper limit of what I would pay for it. I ended up getting a better deal on it but yeah, I would have probably paid that for it because I had been looking for one for a little while when I found it. I don't personally buy guns without actually seeing them first so that limits me to what I can actually find in the shops and pawn shops I visit. This usually works to my advantage though since I've never found Gunbroker auction prices to be reasonable for my neck of the woods.

$500 is probably a bit on the high side, depending on your local market, but if it's nice and you want it I'd say buy it, pop in a G2 FCG and a couple other US parts and you'll never regret the decision.
I'd have to agree with just about everything stated here. However I would add that a MAK 90 with a slant cut receiver in the rear would be worth less than a square cut receiver. The above information re prices would be spot on for a square cut receiver. I also have 3 MAK 90's, & they are really well made. GARY N4KVE

Link Posted: 7/22/2010 1:20:35 PM EST
Originally Posted By N4KVE:
Originally Posted By Imaposer2:

I'd have to agree with just about everything stated here. However I would add that a MAK 90 with a slant cut receiver in the rear would be worth less than a square cut receiver. The above information re prices would be spot on for a square cut receiver. I also have 3 MAK 90's, & they are really well made. GARY N4KVE

Good point. I didn't even think about the slant cuts since I've never had an interest in buying one. But I would recommend checking the rear of the reciever before purchase. AFAIK the only way to tell for sure is to remove the thumbhole, but since I've never seen one in person I'm just going from what I've been told. While the slant cut doesn't really affect functionality they just don't look "right" to me when fitted with a standard stock due to the visible gap between the stock and the angle at the back of the reciever. This doesn't bother some people though so it's up to you. Also, IWD makes stocks specifically for the slant cut MAKs that have a matching angle so the gap is closed off.
Top Top