Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Page AK-47 » Russian
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/17/2005 11:57:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 5:36:48 PM EDT by AtlAK]
So I’ve got a glock and its finished with their tennifer process so its pretty much invincible. I've got a Mossberg that’s parkerized...so I can count on that being pretty impervious to pretty much anything.

Now I’ve got a new VEPR K and I’d like to know what process was used to finish it. How resistant to rust are they? What do I have to watch out for? Basically, I’d like to know how concerned I should be with the finish of the gun. Should I freak out at every little scratch…what about deep ones?

The gun is black obviously, but what is it; just black paint? Has the metal been treated, hardened, anodized etc?
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:14:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/17/2005 6:15:27 PM EDT by akpistolero]
The receiver has been heat treated, but from all the information I have gathered, the final finish is really tough black paint. Probably baked-on, but I have no way of knowing for sure. It is tough, but not impervious to scratches. I've touched mine up with a matte black enamel paint pen, and it's virtually impossible to see the scratches, unless you're looking for them. I've never had a problem with rust, and the rifle has definitely seen some humid (and outright wet) summer days.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 3:21:10 PM EDT
I have heard of guys having the finish come off of their muzzle breaks with the amonia type cleaners. I use klean bore 3in one and have had no problem with mine. The finsh is not as near as tuff as what is on your Glock though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 10:07:48 AM EDT
so in the future, if/when I want to have the gun refinished, what would you guys recommend as far as the hardest, most durable finish possible?
Link Posted: 8/28/2005 11:38:02 PM EDT
If I had mine done I would send it here. However you should not realy have a problem with it. I have two without the muzzle break and have not had one problem. If I had a muzzle break and the finish came off of it I would probably order a can of Alumihyde 2 from brownells and paint it and let it set two week then go to the range.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:04:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 5:49:09 AM EDT
that METACOL looks like a pretty good option. I've also heard of other finishes such as Armor-Tuff or Gunkote...or something like that. Or I suppose I could hard chrome the whole thing
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 10:25:14 AM EDT
I know. I am tempted and do not even have finsh problems however I have to many other projects ahead of that in line.
Page AK-47 » Russian
Top Top