Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 6/4/2008 8:23:40 PM EDT
My shooting revolves around pistols and my AR.

I don't have an AK and would really like to get one.  I'm getting up to speed reading this forum (thanks guys, you know your stuff) but have a few specific questions and am hoping to get some answers.  I'd like to place a dollar amount and type of AK to my needs.

Here's what I'm thinking.
My first AK I don't want to spend a lot of money.  I want something inexpensive.  That way I can get to know it, take it apart, screw around with it, mods and add-ons, etc.  Once I get more familiar I'll go better quality and know what I'd like to do with it.

Reliable - From what I've heard an AK is about the only rifle where inexpensive does not automatically rule out reliable.  

Classic look -  I like the classic look of the AKs witth the wood stocks.  I looked in the build your own forum but before I do my first I like to have one for familiarity.

Typical items newbies overlook such as a bayonet lug?  What should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance for the help.  A general idea of an entry-level price and what type I should be looking for would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:58:02 PM EDT
[#1]
WASR-10 is a great beginner AK.
Cheap, reliable, classic and a great learning lesson  Price: Under $400
or
Yugo's are really a great starter rifle...  M70AB2 for example.  Price $500
or
BlackWidow  - $400 range   G-kit build

I would keep away from gun shows buying an AK.  My recent experience has been pretty bad with unexcusable prices.  Buy online or at a local funstore.  The EE here is pretty damn good usually, though some people are VERY proud of their AKs.

good luck
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top