Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 1/7/2005 6:29:32 PM EDT
I am about to buy my first AK and really like the look of the underfolder stock, which I am aware is uncomfortable to shoot. Nevertheless, I was wondering if installing an underfolding stock on an AK with a wooden stock was difficult? Does it require any gunsmithing? If so, are there some brands of AKs that do not require any mods?

Thanks ahead of time.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:34:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2005 6:35:00 PM EDT by Taipan]
"Putting" an underfolder on a regular stocked model require MAJOR surgery best handled by a good AK gunsmith, unless you've done a few builds from kits yourself. Basically requires that the entire rear portion of the reciever be modified.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:44:14 PM EDT
I used to have a Yugo underfolder, and I did not find it uncomfortable to shoot.

Of course, YMMV.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 6:50:41 PM EDT
+1, underfolders are not unpleasant to shoot at all IMO.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:02:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Taipan:
"Putting" an underfolder on a regular stocked model require MAJOR surgery best handled by a good AK gunsmith, unless you've done a few builds from kits yourself. Basically requires that the entire rear portion of the reciever be modified.

Some MAK90's came with receivers that were built to take underfolders, all you had to do was pop out the plates covering the underfolder stock holes. I've seen one before, but they're rare.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:05:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 9:37:35 AM EDT by TheRedHorseman]
ignore me I know nothing
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:06:39 PM EDT

Originally Posted By AssaultRifler:

Originally Posted By Taipan:

Some MAK90's came with receivers that were built to take underfolders, all you had to do was pop out the plates covering the underfolder stock holes. I've seen one before, but they're rare.

Oh yeah I forgot about those. Good call.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 7:41:51 PM EDT
Here's a good link of how an underfolder was added to a Maadi...

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=213257

This guy Teadie did an incredible job on his!
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:02:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 8:15:32 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tapeo1:
Here's a good link of how an underfolder was added to a Maadi...

http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=213257

This guy Teadie did an incredible job on his!

He did a very nice job. Here is one word of advice to those building an UF or thinking about doing a conversion. Do not waste time doing a perfectly matching hole in the receiver for the center pivot. I spent hours on my first build creating a perfect hole and upon assembly, it dawned on me that this was completely unnecessary. On subsequent builds, I just drill a hole that is @ 1/8th" larger in diameter to the trunnion hole. That’s it. It is never going to be seen and the trunnion is already supporting the pressure of the bolt slamming back and forth. The pressure exerted by the stock is a fraction of this. It does not require the additional support of the receiver wall. Once I figured this out, converting a standard stock to UF takes me about 2 hours from start to finish.
Link Posted: 1/7/2005 10:31:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2005 10:34:12 PM EDT by JA545]
There were 3 models of Chinese post ban AK rifles that had underfolding stock receivers. The MAK-90,NHM-90,and 1-56s-1. All 1-56s-1 had underfolding stock receivers but only some of the MAK-90 and NHM-90 rifles did.
All of the Chinese AK rifles imported in 1990 were pre ban rifles that were converted to post ban rifles so they would be legal to sell. The first underfolding stock MAK-90,NHM-90, and 1-56s-1 rifles sold had the underfolding stocks still on the rifles. They were just folding up and a thumbhole stock added.
I assume the ATF clamped down on this as by mid 1990 the underfolding stock MAK-90,NHM-90, and 1-56s-1 rifles had the underfolding stocks removed and steel plates covering the holes in the sides of the receiver. The plates had a single long rivet that ran through the receiver to hold them in place. Here is a pic of a underfolding stock receiver NHM-90 rifle with the plates covering the holes in the side of the receiver.

As you can see from the link tapeo1 posted there is a lot more involved than just swapping a few parts when putting a underfolding stock on a rifle that isn't made for one. So it would be much easier to find a underfolding stock receiver MAK-90,NHM-90 or a 1-56s-1. Then cut the rivet holding the plates on and adding a underfolding stock.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:02:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 5:03:19 AM EDT by patm41]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:31:03 AM EDT

Originally Posted By patm41:
img.photobucket.com/albums/v64/patm41/Underfolders-III005.jpg
I love my underfolders !!!

What models?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:59:02 AM EDT
i coudnt get the link to come up. Does the mak90s have a trunnion that can go with a wood stock or an underfolder or does a special trunnion need to go in the maks that are underfolder ready. Also in the link on the conversion does he add a trunnion or is the reciever the only thing supporting the underfolder? if somebody could shoot me some pics of that link of the conversion that would be really nice. Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 7:59:38 AM EDT

Originally Posted By WarriorWannabe:
I am about to buy my first AK and really like the look of the underfolder stock, which I am aware is uncomfortable to shoot.

That's a bullshit line. EVERY week we someone posting that they are uncomortable to shoot. I have two polish underfolders and love to shoot both. Underfolders are fine.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:14:09 PM EDT
the top is a Wasr-10 with a Polish underfold stock
next one is a Polish
next is a Norinco .223
bottom is a Milled Russian (my favorite)
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:19:05 PM EDT

Originally Posted By patm41:
the top is a Wasr-10 with a Polish underfold stock
next one is a Polish
next is a Norinco .223
bottom is a Milled Russian (my favorite)

Make of receiver on bottom?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:22:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2005 5:23:41 PM EDT by patm41]
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:26:27 PM EDT
Really nice stuff Patm!!!!
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:32:09 PM EDT
thanks .. the milled pics are not that good ,, looks alot better in person.. wanted to keep it origional looking ,, worn looking after all its a 1950's Ak .. i was told it has charactor
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:55:13 PM EDT
You know I still wish I had gone with the milled underfolder reciever for my RPK74. It was just too much at the time.
Top Top