Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/20/2004 11:05:46 AM EST
Which one?
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:17:23 AM EST
I didn't vote because I say both. I want an underfolder V47 or one made by Arsenal Inc. I have a Romy side folder on my SAR-2 and I also want an Arsenal side folding 74 whenever they come out. I suspect alot of replies will say "both".
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 11:52:47 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/20/2004 11:53:12 AM EST by I-M-A-WMD]
Practicality- neither*. (Fixed is just fine IMHO)

Cool factor*- Under.

Compromise*- Side.

Reality*- Hopefully all of the above!

*Subject to change without previous notice or penalty.

Sly

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:40:44 PM EST
Difficult, if not impossible, to extend the underfolding stock with a mag inserted in my SA85M. Even though, from a coolness and practicality standpoint, the underfolder wins, I'd prefer a side folder, like on my Galil, due both to the above reason, and it provides an infinitely better cheek weld than the under folder, IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 1:11:10 PM EST
What style side folder???
There's at least 5 factory sidefolders:
East German/Romanian/Egyptian that fit the regular fixed tang. Slight diff between each but basically similar
ChiCom with the red polymer/bakelite cheek piece
early AK74/krinkov skeletonized metal
late AK74 polymer
AMD-65
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 3:16:22 PM EST
I like both.Train extensively with whichever one you choose and you can easily overcome the drawbacks.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 4:11:15 PM EST
+1 on what Johno said.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:14:26 PM EST
The side folder feels right when extended and the under folder "pokes" you with the two points on the shoulder rest when shooting. Of course the two underfolders I have are both 7.62 and the side folder is 5.45.

Under folder does have the cool factor.

I would have liked to shoot the 5.45 underfolder I saw at the fun show this last weekend. Then I could really have another example. It was built by Global Trades with polish wood on the handgards.

Link Posted: 9/20/2004 6:08:28 PM EST
Both. I'm building a PKMS kit that will use the underfolder. Mainly, its a historical example of the most common assault rifle in the world and the underfolder is just sexy looking. But, I'll put a galil type folder on another AK for practical utility.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:12:15 PM EST
I like the idea of the side folder over the under. From what I hear, some/most under's will conflict with a side mounted optics mount. The side folder that go to the right side pose no problems and the skelaton models also have no issues with the mount.
Have fun.
KILO OUT
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:49:50 PM EST
really there's no point in having a pole for this. The underfolder stock was deemed pretty much obsolete a long time ago and replaced with the sidefolder, so the verdict is already really out.

That said underfolders are still cool, and I do have one, but it's definately not "better" then the sidefolders used by the Russians and others.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 8:02:59 PM EST
I want a left side folding, warsaw pact length stock in black polymer that doesn't cost a fortune.

Damnit, somebody make one!
Top Top