Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 10/29/2004 4:13:26 AM EDT
I just swapped a preban AR lower for a Wasr 10 with a fellow in a Banned state.  My son and I took it out and shot it the other day and we had a blast.  I am hooked on AK's.  This is my only expierience with AK's so I have lots of questions.  I really like the look of the under folding stock over that of the side folder.  What if any thing could I do to put one on my Wasr 10.  I have built several AR's and feel comfortable modifying them but AK's all seem to be a little differant.  Another question would be threading the barrel.  Once you remove the barrel nut is there enough barrel to thread for a F/S or compensator?  Thanks in advance for any and all info.  I have read the AK section everyday for quite a while and find you guys/gals are a little more layed back over here compared to the AR folks.  Maybe someone could rec my next AK.
Tt
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:14:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Putting an under folder on you WASR will not be an easy task. The first trick is even finding a complete folder. I agree with you that under folders do look "cooler" than side folders. I have both and IMHO the side folder "feels" a whole lot better. The benefit of the side folder is that it works with your existing rear trunion. Just remove the wood stock and insert the folder. You can easily switch back if you wish. Ok, on to the under folder. First you need to grind the rivet heads and remove the existing rear trunion. You'll then need to drill 10 new holes oin the receiver (5 on each side) for the under folder trunion. You also have to deal with the side scope rail. The folder won't clear it so you either remove it or notch out the folder. The rear of the rail will interfere with the folder so it has to go not matter what. I don't know about the muzzle for threading. Good luck. Yes, AK's are a little different. With AR's you always so careful not to hurt anything while your working on them. Put tape on everything so you don't scratch it. With the AK you can just start hacking  without any worry. Most any AK problem can be solved with a hammer. :)
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:38:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks JB.  Fortunately I have several hammers of various sizes and am not afraid to use them.  I guess I will go with the side folder for now.  Do you have any exp with Gunsnstuff.net.  They have a used Rom wire SF for 28 bucks?  Are there any kits out there that are relatively easy to assemble on a recv.  OR do they all pretty much need hacking and grinding to make them fit?  Also I see alot of kits for sale minus the recv and at the bottom of the ad it says you have to use them as spare parts and can't make a complete new weapon from them????  How does one build an AK from scratch without pissing off the BATF?  Thanks for your time and if any one else wants to chime in great!
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 5:51:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 6:51:08 AM EDT
[#4]
The burst of sales after the demise of the AWB took all our inventory, plus our supplier's inventory, of the Romanian side folder stocks priced at either $22.95 (welded) and $37.95 (functional as folder). We now have Romanian side folders priced at $49.95 (p.n. AK112W). The higher price is based on the higher cost of buying these.
K-VAR and Global Trades are advertising underfolder stocks.
Kits can be built into a rifle for personal use, as long as the rifle has no more than ten imported parts (from a specific list of parts). The count of imported parts is reduced by replacing selected imported parts with U.S. made parts.

Harlan
FAC
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:01:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all the help and info.  Where would I get additional info on AMD kits?  What's the diff between a Krink and an AK?  I love an excuse to buy a new tool.  What kind of tool would you need to install the rivets in the recv?  Thanks for your time.

Edited for spelling
Link Posted: 10/29/2004 7:20:39 AM EDT
[#6]
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top