Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 3/18/2009 5:46:35 AM EDT
In the past, US-made AK mags weren't worth a crap. Has anything changed? I need a few to use for compliance, but it would be nice if they actually worked. Anyone had any luck with Tapco or Pro-Mag? Are there any others?
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 7:26:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Sadly, the US mags are WAY behind on quality and durability to Euro Mags (steel), Bulgarian "Waffles" and the Russian & E. German Bakelite and the Bulgarian & Polish Poly AK-74 mags...

I'd love for someone to figure out that people WILL pay the extra money for a better built Mil-Quality mag (Think P-Mag) vs. saving a few dollars with cheapo plastic crap mags that will fail if put to the test.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I have 2 ProMags in 7.62x39. I have put less than 500 shots through each of them. Neither has malfunctioned in any way in any of my AKs, which is unfortunate since I bought the first specificly for the purpose of IA drills and bought the second when the first one failed to malfunction.
YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 9:07:23 AM EDT
[#3]
The real deal US mags = Arsenal inc.                   Price is pretty high, but they are of the highest quality and standards.   LINK

Looks like K-Var is out of the US ones though.  Keep in mind that these mags are 2 US parts and not 3 because the body is Bulgy.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 9:48:23 AM EDT
[#4]
'I have 2 ProMags in 7.62x39. I have put less than 500 shots through each of them. Neither has malfunctioned in any way in any of my AKs, which is unfortunate since I bought the first specificly for the purpose of IA drills and bought the second when the first one failed to malfunction.'

LMAO!

I'll have to try one!

'Keep in mind that these mags are 2 US parts and not 3 because the body is Bulgy.'

Thanks - these mags look great, but at the moment I'm looking for three parts. I will probably get one anyway.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#5]
It is pretty difficult to screw up an AK magazine... as far as functionality goes.

Promag, which is usally of questionalbe functionality, actually functions fine in the AK magazine series.

For just gentle range use, practically anything will work fine.
Durability is where most fall short... drasticalyl short.

The Arsenal magazines are the only US made ones that are really any good for durability, and they are made with Bulgarian bodies... So the Bulgarians made the part that American companies won't do right.

Just get foreign ones... easier to find, and they last forver.
Link Posted: 3/18/2009 2:17:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
'I have 2 ProMags in 7.62x39. I have put less than 500 shots through each of them. Neither has malfunctioned in any way in any of my AKs, which is unfortunate since I bought the first specificly for the purpose of IA drills and bought the second when the first one failed to malfunction.'

LMAO!

I'll have to try one!

If it malfunctions, I'll trade you. We'll both be happy!

Link Posted: 3/18/2009 4:05:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Ba-da-bing!
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:11:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I believe K-Var sells US-made floor plates and followers.

If you have a stack of foreign mags, this might be a way to change out a few parts.  You can probably sell the old parts on the EE.
Link Posted: 3/19/2009 6:55:55 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I believe K-Var sells US-made floor plates

Last time I looked, the web site stated that the floor plates do not fit steel magazines.

Link Posted: 3/19/2009 8:09:34 AM EDT
[#10]
Hesse/Vulcan/Black Thorne (I don't remember which name) makes normal floorplates.
Link Posted: 3/22/2009 2:30:31 PM EDT
[#11]
All my Pro Mags required a little fitting, but they function just fine––both 5.56 and 7.62.  There's no question they won't last as long as OEM mags, BUT ProMag will replace any mag you send to them, no questions asked, no receipt required.
Link Posted: 3/25/2009 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd love for someone to figure out that people WILL pay the extra money for a better built Mil-Quality mag (Think P-Mag) vs. saving a few dollars with cheapo plastic crap mags that will fail if put to the test.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Pmag says themselves that their AR mags are not meant to be replacements for the metal mags and aren't made for people who shoot every day.  So why would a Magpul plastic AK mag be any better than a Tapco or Promag plastic mag?  The problem is the lack of metal locking points and not the plastic used.

Just look at the K-VAR "drop test" video.  Even the Bulgarian plastic mags don't survive this milspec test.  The Bulgarian mags (not waffles) are considered by many to be just one step down from the waffles.  But even those mags don't withstand hardcore use.

Plastic is plastic.  I don't think it's a matter of "if" it will break but more a question of "when."  What's needed is metal reinforcement.

Link Posted: 3/26/2009 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Pmag says themselves that their AR mags are not meant to be replacements for the metal mags and aren't made for people who shoot every day...

Oh really? Could you provide a reference for that information?
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 6:01:32 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm sure that if P-Mag decided to do AK mags, they would be smart and do with right which means use of a metal reinforcement at the feedlips, and front and rear lugs...

The drop test video is a real eye opener with the failure after failure after failure of the afternarket mags.

There is a longer video out there that I can't seem to find these days...  I swear you can hear the Arsenal people are cracking up in the background as mag after mag craps out in the drop tests.

DOINK!!!!   TOTAL FAILURE!!!!

I'll say it again, Go REAL ComBloc or Go Away Disappointed ...

I'd love to have real High Quality USA made magazines, but until that happens I'm staying Com Bloc for all my AK mags.

BIGGER_HAMMER
Link Posted: 3/26/2009 8:30:20 PM EDT
[#15]
stick to eastern block steel mags and the bulgy waffles
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 4:08:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 6:07:30 AM EDT
[#17]
I've abused the shit out of the TAPCO poly mags and they keep running great.  Like a Pmag for AK's, from my experience with them.
Link Posted: 3/27/2009 10:18:34 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Pmag says themselves that their AR mags are not meant to be replacements for the metal mags and aren't made for people who shoot every day...

Oh really? Could you provide a reference for that information?

Right here in Magpuls epic PMAG thread is where they said it.  See the part in red.

PMAG 100+ page thread  
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 5:02:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I like my tapco mags-no issues. I'm going to buy at least 10 more for the AKs and RPK and try some for my ARs too.
Link Posted: 3/30/2009 5:01:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Page AK-47 » Magazines
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top