Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Site Notices
Posted: 3/28/2006 7:12:53 PM EDT
Hello,

I recently made a trade agreement with member here.  I was to trade my M92 kit + cash for an AR.
I sent the said kit, PMO, and a copy of my FFL to the member via 2nd day priority.  It's been about a week now and the member IM'd me inquiring about the aforementioned.  He stated nothing showed up yet.  (He didnt send the AR because he was awiting funds and the FFL)

Now I am worried, pissed, and confused..........I know I can probably cancel the PMO but what about the kit????  Thats a lot of money I have tied up in the kit to just lose!!!   I plan on going to the post office tomorrow to inquire about it.  I made the mistake of trying to save a little and I didnt do the "delivery confirmation."  I send things all the time without a problem.  What else can I do???  I wished I had shipped it UPS for they provide tracking on all packages.

Could there be a problem with sending just gun parts???  I know if I send a firearm, it must go through a FFL, but this was just parts.  

input welcomed, need advice please.

btw: if the other party involved in the aforementioned trade agreement is reading this, I want to be clear that I do not, and did not intend to imply anything towards you.  I am seeking advice from others that may have had a similar experience that may give direction.  Thanks everyone.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:18:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Delivery + signature confirmation and insurance is a must if you're doing a trade.  Now you'll never know if the PO lost it or if you're getting fucked.

My roommate is a shift manager for UPS.  If you knew half the shit that goes on you'd never ship without insurance again.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:21:36 PM EDT
[#2]
USPS has tracking also.

It's .40 cents extra. Free if you pay insurance.............

Instante! You didn't have delivery confirmation on the 8mags($200.00 worth) that you sent me?!!!

Dude. I would have killed you!

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:32:30 PM EDT
[#3]
As a rule, I don't trust any packages over $100 with the USPS. I learned this from 7+ years of running an independent music distro. Screwed over too many times.

For things like a kit, I would go UPS or FED EX...and involve an insurance option. Have you sent parts kits through the USPS in the past?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#4]

Don't get me going.  Back during GW1, the stuff mailed back home only (read: no other way) went thru the USPS.  They lost several rolls of film that for me were priceless.      Also have a BIL that works for one of local P.O.'s and like are previous poster said,....if you heard half the shit that you'd never ship w/out insurance again.   I don't have a high regard for the USPS as a whole.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:34:59 PM EDT
[#5]
They delivered my new laptop to a somebody 5 miles away. When I called they said it had been delivered and that was that. Luckily the people that got it by mistake were nice enough to bring it to me.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:37:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Did you insure it?  If so file a claim.  If you did not..............well shame shame shame.  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:52:47 PM EDT
[#7]
USPS "delivery confirmation" is free if you buy postage online, and it's worth every penny.  

I've lost count of how many times items I've received have been scanned as "delivered" days before I got them or just never showed up.  It is not "tracking".  It just shows whether or not some idiot scanned some label at some point.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Did you insure it?  If so file a claim.  If you did not..............well shame shame shame.  

I am pissed!  I am sad!  I am STOOOOOOOPPID (spelled that way cuz I am stupid)
I am just gonna get fucked up now......

NO INSURANCE ~ NO TRACKING ~ now................NO KIT ~  NO AR!!!

Lesson learned the hard way.

Please dont be offended if you are the other party and read this........................It is a "what if" only, I am not implying anything.  

What if the Post Office didnt lose it?  How can I prove that?  
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm not sure of the USPS and their regulations concerning weapons parts, but there is a slight possibility a postal inspector or two was alarmed...then again, you would have recieved a formal notice of some sort by now. Cross your fingers bro.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:02:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I was/am in your shoes. I purchased an AR barrel via the EE and the shipper didn't insure the package. Well, USPS lost the barrel and delivered me an empty torn up box. I filed claim after claim after claim and call USPS mail recovery services at least once a week. Still no barrel and they're getting annoyed with me (good, I'm a bit annoyed myself).

I worked it out with the seller and we split the loss. It sucked for both of us in the end but I didn't request insurance and he didn't offer it. We both felt that splitting the loss was the most fair thing that we could do. If the barrel ever shows up (I'm pretty sure that it won't) and it's usable, I'll send that 1/2 of the money back to the seller.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:16:37 PM EDT
[#11]

Warning:  Ship with insurance or face the consequences!  

I will hope for the best.  About a month ago, I bought a pistol grip from a respected member here for $5.00 shipped.....he shipped it with tracking and provided it to me.  I tracked it and it said delivered but to an address in LANCASTER, PA.  I live in York, PA Lancaster is like 30 miles away.  I went to the post office and didnt get any help.  They just said, "well, I can look in the back but it says delivered. Maybe the shippier shipped it to a wrong address."

I contacted the seller and he confirmed it was addressed to me.  He tracked it himself and then printed it out and went to the post office to inquire.  About a week after that I contacted the seller again and he didnt have any news.  2 days later guess what showed up in my mailbox....the pistol grip.  

WTF?!  I guess I didnt learn from that experience........

I understand they handle millions of packages and shit happens....but it just sucks cuz I was too cheap to track or insure....now I am out of a $500.00+ kit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:25:46 PM EDT
[#12]
I got some crazy Greek guy cussing me out because they lost his printer. I filed a claim and am waiting on the check or whatever. And now I understand why most of ebay absolutely refuses to send internationally. Foreign mail sucks, and foreign people are crazy.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:25:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I deal alot with the USPS, I sell a lot on ebay, I never send a package without confirmation, Insurance is up to the buyer. I always take insurance whenever anything is sent to me though. Knock on wood i havent had a problem with the post office yet. McM
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:41:37 PM EDT
[#14]
USPS lost a Plinker jig for me before Xmas.  I sold it on the EE and shipped it Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation, so I cheaped out and didn't buy insurance (yeah, dumb).

The short of the story is it got lost due to numerous documented failures by the USPS (who still haven't found it).  I sent the money back asap.  I lose because I was too darn cheap to spend the extra $5 for FedEx.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:36:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Whenever I send something really through the mail I insure it for more than its worth. I figure if they fuck up and lose it they're going to buy a new one, and something for my trouble.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#16]
yes--pls read this:
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=127&t=328589

moral and lesson: get the DELIVERY CONFIRMATION!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:50:52 PM EDT
[#17]
UPS SUCKS!!!!!  I swear they screw up something every time I have to use their services and their customer service is just plain pathetic.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:52:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I have shipped LOTS of stuff through USPS and have lost VERY few. I have learned that printing the labels helps a lot also use lots of tape and for heavy objects like jigs and what not use lots of cardboard, paper & tape. USPS is actually pretty reliable assuming that the package is clearly marked and packaged very well. I have had a few scares but almost all of them have shown up. Ive had some go missing for weeks before they show. I would give it some time and I bet it arrives. If you did a good job of packaging it & labeling it then I would be more concerned with the person your trading with than with usps. Thats just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:39:56 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Please dont be offended if you are the other party and read this........................It is a "what if" only, I am not implying anything.  

I have to agree with you.  Stupid.  The confirmation and insurance is very inexpensive and anything insured for $100+ they have to sign for.  You are screwed over a couple of dollars it would have cost you to insure.  I insure everything I sell here valued over $20.00 and if I don't have a replacement to ship out.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:16:51 AM EDT
[#20]
UPS stole two brand new Colt rifles of mine a 6920 and a 6520. then they gave me and Colt the run around for a month or two then told both Colt and I to get screwed. their investigation was a joke at best. they have flat out lied and been cought on more than one occasion and will just keep makeing up new stories to try and cover up their lies. USPS has been very good to me so far and Fed-X seems to be a good choice also.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:32:04 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I deal alot with the USPS, I sell a lot on ebay, I never send a package without confirmation, Insurance is up to the buyer. I always take insurance whenever anything is sent to me though. Knock on wood i havent had a problem with the post office yet. McM

+1 - ditto for me

ps.  UPS and fedex ground are awful in Wisconsin.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:01:50 AM EDT
[#22]
When using USPS, priority mail, I always use delivery confirmation.  It's available for .40 cents or so and well worth it when trying to track something down.  Learn from your mistakes, when you are talking several hundred dollars worth of merchandise, what is $5.00 more for tracking and insurance.  Hope this helps...Tommy.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:18:52 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
When using USPS, priority mail, I always use delivery confirmation.  It's available for .40 cents or so and well worth it when trying to track something down.  Learn from your mistakes, when you are talking several hundred dollars worth of merchandise, what is $5.00 more for tracking and insurance.  Hope this helps...Tommy.

That is the standard for me when dealing in anything of value. Especially with Gun Parts, and members of this board, and others.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:40:47 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is the standard for me when dealing in anything of value. Especially with Gun Parts, and members of this board, and others.

As far as delivery confirmation, USPS provides it free if you purchase and print the postage using the usps.com site.  Delivery confirmation provides some peace of mind that a package was delired somewhere but doesn't guarantee it was delivered to the correct address or help spit if they lose your package.  

Insurance is the only way to cover yourself.  

Problem is USPS insurance rates are about 1.5x to 2x or more vs market rates.  The moment you add insurance, you are better off opening a FedEx account for everything but your most heavy packages, at least up here.  FedEx and UPS over the counter rates are significantly higher than the account rates, and any credit or debit card will establish an account for you.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As far as delivery confirmation, USPS provides it free if you purchase and print the postage using the usps.com site.  Delivery confirmation provides some peace of mind that a package was delired somewhere but doesn't guarantee it was delivered to the correct address or help spit if they lose your package.  

Insurance is the only way to cover yourself.  

Problem is USPS insurance rates are about 1.5x to 2x or more vs market rates.  The moment you add insurance, you are better off opening a FedEx account for everything but your most heavy packages, at least up here.  FedEx and UPS over the counter rates are significantly higher than the account rates, and any credit or debit card will establish an account for you.

Exactly. I go broke with USPS when it comes to buying, selling parts on this forum.

I only ship Priority/Insured/Delivery Confirmation.

And all that after getting raped for Paypal's fee! LOL

So. I had the same boxed items going out. 3.6 pounds. I decided to try something different by going UPS instead of the customary USPS.

USPS cost me $11.20 to same address Priority/Insured for $210.00 with .40 cent delivery confirmation(even though insured is redundant with number)

UPS cost me $7.60 for EXACTLY the same box, same item inside, same weight, same address. Priority/insured, everything.

So........whatever.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Warning:  Ship with insurance or face the consequences!  

And the corollary: insurance is a scam.

I've been hung out to dry by both USPS and UPS insurance.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:55:48 AM EDT
[#27]
Somebody, somewhere, got screwed by every shipping/postal service.

So. No such existing perfect shipping service.

But. I'm interested in who has the least amount of fuck-ups.

Link Posted: 3/29/2006 2:39:40 PM EDT
[#28]
* Update *

Ok, I went to the post office today, waited in line for 15 minutes.  Then when it was my turn, I proceeded to ask her about a package I sent and told her the recipient didnt receive it yet.  I showed her the receipt and everything.

Her sarcastic reply, "Aww....did you have insurance? Did you have delivery confirmation?"  She also said, "packages gets lost sometimes but the eventually turn up, I mailed a package before christmas priority but it didnt show up there until 14 days later.  It will show up."

Thanks!  That makes me feel better!  I asked her if there is anything we can do now?  Anyone she can call to check on this.  She replied, "No. Can I help the next person?"  WTF?!   Gee thanks!

At that point I was pretty F#$^ing mad. I just left....never asked about cancelling the PMO.  When I return after driving for aminute and realized that I forgot to ask about cancelling the PMO.....the line was still longer than hell.  I just said F it...I'll come back tomorrow......

That whole ordeal was pretty much useless....waste of time....

Note*  I have no one to blame but myself for being such a jew bastard and didnt do the insurance and tracking.  I have an e-mail to the other party asking him to call me so I can update him.  Do you guys think it would be out of line to ask for a discount on the AR that was supposed to be part of the trade?  Thanks everyone.  ~  Cant wait to get off work and continue to try to empty the captain morgan bottle again......
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My post was not meant to insult you.  The damn post office could care less about our packages.  Insurance and tracking numbers keep them honest.  I would go into the office where you mailed it and pitch a fit and keep bitching until they do something.  Bring your receipt where you paid for the postage.  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:36:29 PM EDT
[#30]
One more thing.  Go the extra mile and photograph the package and contents then email the photo to yourself when you do this.  Dates on the email and the contents and the way you packed it is important.  Don't stop calling them.  Always go up the ladder to the bosses boss.  The last thing a big boss wants is a pissed off customer calling them all the time.  Everybody has email.  FInd out the bosses email and flud the fucking thing.  I have filed several claims with UPS, USPS and Fedex because I ship a ton of packages because I sell on Ebay.  I always get paid.  Take my money and see how pissed off I will get.  
Good luck
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top