Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 9/10/2005 5:26:31 AM EDT
Parts....

Grrrrr.....

OK I got my FCG (Trigger, Sear, Hammer)  That counts as 3 right?

My barrel extension....1

Foregrip....1

Pistol Grip....1

Receiver....1

Then, I need help. LOL! I wanna keep my underfolder so I need to swap out something else...and I'm still short.  

I guess I could get a new gas piston...but that still leaves me with two more.

I think magazine counts as 1, but do the followers count as seperate? Or only as one when used in a US magazine?

It's looking like I'm gonna need to change that rear stock afterall.

Do I need 10? 7? I thought it was 7 but someone just told me he thinks it's 10.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 5:56:50 AM EDT
[#1]
The rule is 10 or less IMPORTED parts.  So that leaves you with 6 US parts to replace if you have a muzzle device, 5 if you don't.

Your FCG is 3, barrel extension doesn't count if you're attaching a imported brake to the end of it--is this your Krink build?, upper and lower handguards count as 1, pistol grip is 1, and receiver is 1.  Looks like you're set without the extension (counting as a US part)--if it's your Krink, ignore the thing about putting a brake on the end of it.  

The magazine counts as 3 -- body, floorplate, and follower.  So using a all US made mag would give you 3 more.
Link Posted: 9/10/2005 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#2]
The 16 countable parts in a AK with a muzzle device.  No more than 10 of these parts may be imported.

(1) Receiver
(2) Barrel
(3) Trunnion
(4) Muzzle attachments
(5) Bolt
(6) Bolt carrier
(7) Gas piston
(8) Trigger
(9) Hammer
(10) Disconnecter
(11) Buttstock
(12) Pistol grip
(13) Forearm handguards
(14) Magazine body
(15) Follower
(16) Floorplate

Link Posted: 9/10/2005 1:39:59 PM EDT
[#3]
you need 5 us parts (not counting the can)
when you attach the fake can it becomes part of the barrel so it dosnt count as a us part

change out your fcg (3) pg(1)and your rec (1) all you need
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 1:41:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks a LOT fella's for clearing that up for me. Whew! I guess I'm done, and don't need to change my gas piston.

I'm really looking forward to Monday when my receiver's supposed to come in.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:29:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Look, I'm not advocating lawlessness but has ANYONE, ANYWHERE, been busted on U.S. Parts count?

Sorry if this is well-covered ground. I don't spend much time here on the AK side (but I've got a couple builds in the works so I'm here to learn).
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Look, I'm not advocating lawlessness but has ANYONE, ANYWHERE, been busted on U.S. Parts count?

Sorry if this is well-covered ground. I don't spend much time here on the AK side (but I've got a couple builds in the works so I'm here to learn).

I wonder if anyone ever has been busted on the parts count.  Seems to me that they would only enforce it if they're looking for additional charges to mount up against someone with more serious firearm violations.  Since a lot of US parts don't have USA stamped on them (even if they did, it still doesn't mean they were made in the US) is the ATF prepared to do metallurgic analysis on metal parts to determine if they were made in a factory in the US?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I wonder if anyone ever has been busted on the parts count.  Seems to me that they would only enforce it if they're looking for additional charges to mount up against someone with more serious firearm violations.  Since a lot of US parts don't have USA stamped on them (even if they did, it still doesn't mean they were made in the US) is the ATF prepared to do metallurgic analysis on metal parts to determine if they were made in a factory in the US?

Tapeo1 my friend - HECK YES the govt will spend YOUR tax dollars to do metallurgic analysis to convict someone of a something.  Govt spending Money is no object when it isn't theirs, it's YOURS.     I post this in ALL sincerity.
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:53:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tapeo1 my friend - HECK YES the govt will spend YOUR tax dollars to do metallurgic analysis to convict someone of a something.  Govt spending Money is no object when it isn't theirs, it's YOURS.     I post this in ALL sincerity.

True enough!  How do we know with 100% certainty that a USA made part is in fact made in the US?  Seems like some crook could buy up a bunch of foreign gas pistons (for example) and stamp USA on them and sell them at a 500% mark up.

ETA: OK, I admit it... I'm being a little paranoid!
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#9]
few thangs

first off anyone ever see armageddon
"us parts russian parts all made in tiwan" LMFAO

anyway tapeo your not wrong there was a guy at the portland show selling
import parts as us not gonna say who cause well thats just not me but ive seen it so keep your eyes open

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:38:11 AM EDT
[#10]
No kidding??? Well, I guess I wasn't so paranoid after all!  I guess the temptation is there for someone to buy foreign made gas pistons at $1 to $2 a pop, mark "Made in USA" on them and then sell them for $10 to $15 a piece.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No kidding??? Well, I guess I wasn't so paranoid after all!  I guess the temptation is there for someone to buy foreign made gas pistons at $1 to $2 a pop, mark "Made in USA" on them and then sell them for $10 to $15 a piece.

Great idea, hang a felony on some poor unsuspecting home builder, so you can swindle them for $12

Gas pistons can be identified way to easy to try that.
US piston grooves are cut with a square nose cutter and the imports with a round nose.
Plus the US pistons are made from stainless.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:32:47 PM EDT
[#12]
so if I have the magazine (body, floorplate, follower), reciever, buttstock and pistol grip, Ill be alright? Sorry, I just want to double check, I dont want to commit a felony.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 7:52:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
so if I have the magazine (body, floorplate, follower), reciever, buttstock and pistol grip, Ill be alright? Sorry, I just want to double check, I dont want to commit a felony.

Yes.  If you have a muzzle attachment, that is enough US parts.  If not, you can just replace 5.  I'm sure you'll get this advice too--trash that US mag and get a US FCG like a G2 instead.  It's 3 parts as well.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:20:25 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
you need 5 us parts (not counting the can)
when you attach the fake can it becomes part of the barrel so it dosnt count as a us part

change out your fcg (3) pg(1)and your rec (1) all you need

Whoa, whoa whoa.  Back the truck up.  

So, what you're saying, is that if I permanently attach an extension and permanently attach the original AMD brake to my AMD kit to bring it up to 16+ inches, that the muzzle brake is now considered part of the barrel??

Do you have an ATF source letter on this?  If this is true this is great news, but this is the first time I have heard of this angle on the subject.  Everywhere else has said that you need the US made brake to be compliant.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:23:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Melvinator2k0,

Forget about using the magazines as a compliance part.  You don't want to see a deal come up again like the $2.50 Sportsmans Guide AK mags and have to buy a bunch of compliance parts for them.

Plus, what about drums?  Ever want to use a drum on your AK?  If you rely on the magazines, you won't have a choice.  You won't be able to use it.
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top