Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 12/20/2005 10:51:21 PM EDT
Not quite finished yet, going shooting tomorrow.  These are my first!  I hope you don't mind seeing more Romy G guns.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:55:51 AM EDT
[#1]
It[s never a problem to see more blasters.  Let us know how the shoot went and give us a range report & some pic's of the groups...
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:24:02 AM EDT
[#2]
How come the buttstocks are so far out??
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:28:03 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How come the buttstocks are so far out??

Cause they are a pain in the ass.  Mine would of required alot of sanding to get it to fit right.  Instead I used a synthetic stock which only required minor adjustment to fit.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:28:12 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm parking the guns, so I didn't want to push the butt stocks in all the way.  It was hard enough getting them out when they were that far in.

Shooting went well, no issues to report.  I didn't have a target, just went to this place where some of us shoot, but hit where I was aiming.  

Tonight is parkerizing followed by gun kote.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey Rudi, they look great! I've got one flat arrivng tomorrow and hope to have one done this weekend. I've got two other flats coming at some point from a group buy, and I'll finish the other two Romys.
Did you reshape the handguards, or did they come without the pistol grips?
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#6]
I ordered from AIM and they keep the original hand guard to sell and throw in the regular ones.

-Rudy
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:07:14 AM EDT
[#7]
looks nice and glad you got some buit
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:11:20 PM EDT
[#8]
New pics...I parked and gun koted them.  I'm really happy with them.  The pictures don't really show how well they turned out.  We definitely have another addict on our hands!

Now if I could just get the spring back in the butt stock so I can get the butt plate put back on.
Link Posted: 12/25/2005 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Those look really good, you got any better pics of the wood? I kinda wanna see it better.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 8:46:38 AM EDT
[#10]
They sure did come out purdy.  I am currently trying to strip down the buttstock, but portions of the black stripe is being stubborn and won't come off.  What did you use to dissolve the paint?  I don't want to sand too much off.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:58:23 AM EDT
[#11]
I used bix stripper.  It took several tries to get it all, but it takes the paint and everything off.  The wood turned out really good.  I'll post a better picture when I get home.  I'm at the family's house for the holidays.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 12:02:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks r50...I'll try Bix out.
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 5:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
they look great good job

fastest way i have found... prolly gonna think im crazy lol
take a torch and char the whole stock
spray it down with oven cleaner from the dollar sto to remove the black
and your to bear wood in about 10 min
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:31:18 AM EDT
[#14]
You are right, I think you are crazy!  I don't have a torch anyway, but you are braver than I am.  Whatever works though, it takes me probably 30-45 mins with the bix stripper.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:48:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Getting closer to completion...all I have left to do is install the FCG on both these AKs and finish the wood furniture and paint the metal on the top AK. These are my first two AK builds; Cheri, my cherry-busting first, is on the bottom. Mona, the b!tch, is my second build. She's on top and she gave me quite a bit of problems. First off, the barrel came off really hard. When it came time to reinstalling it, Mona wouldn't let me go in straight, so I had to pull it out and ram it back in. Then her wood furniture....well, let's put it this way, the laminates seem to be holding up to the wood deck cleaner and the paint stripper solution I used on her to take off the black stripe on the buttstock.

Anyways, here are my twins.  

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v82/knobcreek/IMG_4776.jpg

Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:20:40 PM EDT
[#16]
ha ha someone else who names there aks
i ran and told my wife see im not crazy she said " that just means youll have someone to talk to at the funny farm"
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I thought we all gave names to our AKs???  This "funny Farm", do you know if they have a 12 ton press or a 20?
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#18]
For stripping the wood on the stocks I used a wire wheel on my bench grinder

I have a surefire way to strip them down and if you are carefull, they turn out great with just a little sanding...
Page AK-47 » Build It Yourself
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top